Why do so many people not dig Chorus?

angelhair0

• Members

I know a lot of you who don't dig Chorus are sticklers for an organic tone... little to no modulation.

And a lot of you that don't dig it hate it because you hate Creed and other cock-rockers who have that annoying chorusy clean tone.

But really, if you use it right, and forget your inhibitions, it's really awesome in my opinion. I use a really light, transparent, watery, yet heavy chorus-like sound with a Boss DC-2 (minimal detuning, sounds so wide and beautiful). I also use a Red Witch Empress to get a really wobly, pitch-bendy tone... reminds me a bit of My Bloody Valentine, maybe some Cure... are those sounds, to the anti-chorus people, terrible to your ears? If so, why?

I know so many people who "hate" chorus. Doesn't make sense to me!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know a lot of you who don't dig Chorus are sticklers for an organic tone... little to no modulation.

And a lot of you that don't dig it hate it because you hate Creed and other cock-rockers who have that annoying chorusy clean tone.

But really, if you use it right, and forget your inhibitions, it's really awesome in my opinion. I use a really light, transparent, watery, yet heavy chorus-like sound with a Boss DC-2 (minimal detuning, sounds so wide and beautiful). I also use a Red Witch Empress to get a really wobly, pitch-bendy tone... reminds me a bit of My Bloody Valentine, maybe some Cure... are those sounds, to the anti-chorus people, terrible to your ears? If so, why?

I know so many people who "hate" chorus. Doesn't make sense to me!

You seem to be assuming that those who hate them have good taste, a creative side, and an understanding in the 1st place. Though, liking every effect there is isn't required.

If the guys with the big hateful attitudes don't like them, so be it...

You RAWK!!!

• Members

I don't hate chorus, but I've never, ever had a desire to buy one. Almost none of the stuff I ever really listen to uses it, for starters. I'm mostly into just fuzz and od usually, and almost all my favorite guitarists are pretty straight ahead rockers that don't ever use modulation other than amp tremolo. I use amp reverb almost all the time, basically the only real "effect" I ever have running.

If I started playing more metalish switching tempo, complex kinda stuff....picture if I met a cool drummer who was way into stuff like Tool....I might consider getting a chorus just to add some new textures to things. I used to have a DMM, and only used the chorus/vib when I was running my theremin through it to make outer space noises. With guitar I thought those effects just sounded silly, they didn't complement my kind of playing at all.

Then again, you know why a whammy bar used to be called a vibrato? Cause you can used it for vibrato! The most syrupy, amazing sounding vibrato I've ever gotten comes from just having a consistent warble with the bar and not having it interfere with your picking. Sometimes I goof around doing that and get some really weird sounding little passages.

I don't dislike chorus, but man was it over-used in the 80's... maybe that's still having lasting effects (no pun intended) on popular opinion - kind of like big gated snare drum sounds.

I've been trying out a Diamond Halo Chorus, and this thing is extremely cool. But like any effect, if you abuse it, or don't know what you're doing with it, or over-use it, it's not going to be a good thing. But that isn't the pedal's fault. :)

• Members

I don't dislike chorus, but man was it over-used in the 80's... maybe that's still having lasting effects (no pun intended) on popular opinion - kind of like big gated snare drum sounds.

I've been trying out a Diamond Halo Chorus, and this thing is extremely cool. But like any effect, if you abuse it, or don't know what you're doing with it, or over-use it, it's not going to be a good thing. But that isn't the pedal's fault.
:)

Big gated snare drums...THAT'S something I can get behind hating.

How could someone not know what they're doing with one (chorus, I mean...)? Just putting it in random places, or extreme settings, or what?

• Members

I luuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeee a slow phasey watery chorus! :love: :love:

Sounds so sweet with ultra-clean tones, and has an awesome thick swirly effect for mega-crunch distortion. :rawk::cool:

I love it so much, I have a Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp dedicated for chorused clean tones, will get a TC Electronic G-Major and use its chorus, delay, & pitch shifting to get chorus tones with my MarkIV, and have the Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo pedal to use in front of my (soon to own) Engl Fireball for distorted swirly chorus sounds. :love:

I'm not much of a fan for the fast wobbly chorus (used slightly it ain't too bad, but I prefer a tremolo for that), or the delayed doubling chorus effect used on L.A. guitar tone 80s solos (think Landau, Lukathur..). Now THAT is overdone chorus!

• Members

I hate that too, with a passion.

Samantha Fox's Touch Me is a perfect example of that big gated snare drum over-processed sound. Ick.. :freak:

Another thing that was overdone in the 80s was reverb......

• Members

way into chorus here, that old goth rawk chorus not Vai/buttrawkballad chorus.

My first chorus/vibrato was a boss ce-1, I also picked up a morley proflange that day, so my expectations of a good chorus sound were set pretty high, since then I've owned CS-9 (weak), DOD-460 (very very nice close to the small clone), DC-3 (too transparent), Ibanez CS-505 (lush & warm), ChoralFlange (umm...), about five or six CE-2s(sold everysingle one) & two dod-690s (teh 690 when working properly is lush & reminisant of the old leslie cabs), ie ramping is cool! I had a Dc-2 also (yeah......hmm).

• Members

It tires my ears after a while. Also most choruses have that stupid triangle wave oscillation and if you isolate one output its like wee-oo--weeee-oooo instead of good sine wave goodness.

I like how XTC uses chorus. Listen to Peter Pumpkinhead. Oh and the Crash Test Dummies do some good {censored} with chorus too.

Big gated snare drums...THAT'S something I can get behind hating.

How could someone not know what they're doing with one (chorus, I mean...)? Just putting it in random places, or extreme settings, or what?

All are certainly possibilities, but I was thinking more fundamentally than that - how about this?

Not using it musically, or not using it when musically appropriate.

Maybe the part could use a little chorus; just a slight touch of pitch modulation with a slow rate... or maybe it would be well served by a extreme setting - there's nothing wrong with that when it's appropriate. But to use one approach, when the other is called for, or to just use it locked on the same setting for every song, and constantly have it on all the time, that can get a bit old IMO... but that applies to many effects. I guess I just like to hear a variety of different tones being used, and not just one all the time. But then again, I like a lot of players with one basic tone they're known for, and a chorus on most of his parts never hurt Andy Summers. :)

Even with relatively simple devices (insofar as their operation / controls) there are still people who seem to find musically inappropriate ways of using them. ;)

But then again, when it comes to music, it's all subjective anyway! :)

• Members

chorus isnt as important as other effects, its great for picking and strumming but not beating on the strings with. its value to a pedal board is only if you use it in a way that makes it important otherwise it has tremendous limitation on the effects exploration scale because it is so subtle but reverb is subtle too but way more important than chorus.

Archived