Boss DM-2 trim pots

gambit

• Members

Just reading the reviews on HC and some people are saying "give them a tweak to get more repeats/delay time" and others are warning that you can "never return them to how they were, don't do it!" etc etc..

who should i believe?

i can't say i'm in love twith the DM-2 the way it is - i wish it had more repeats, more wet level and maybe even a bit more delay time (less important).

essentially the oscillation sounds only come on when the repeats are maxed and the delay time is brought down to almost the minimum setting.

so does anyone know what the trim pots control, and ay reassurance that returning the trims back to factory (or close enough) isn't really a problem would be great.

one guy is banging on about how you would need an oscilloscope to return it back to being as it was, and usable.. surely its just a matter of returning the trim to the best setting.. no noise on the repeats etc? my ears can't be so bad that i can't reset it back to the best setting i can find..

i changed the trim on the Red Witch moon phaser i have and it sounds much better to me now. convince me if you think its a bad idea!

• Members

Just reading the reviews on HC and some people are saying "give them a tweak to get more repeats/delay time" and others are warning that you can "never return them to how they were, don't do it!" etc etc..

who should i believe?

i can't say i'm in love twith the DM-2 the way it is - i wish it had more repeats, more wet level and maybe even a bit more delay time (less important).

essentially the oscillation sounds only come on when the repeats are maxed and the delay time is brought down to almost the minimum setting.

so does anyone know what the trim pots control, and ay reassurance that returning the trims back to factory (or close enough) isn't really a problem would be great.

one guy is banging on about how you would need an oscilloscope to return it back to being as it was, and usable.. surely its just a matter of returning the trim to the best setting.. no noise on the repeats etc? my ears can't be so bad that i can't reset it back to the best setting i can find..

i changed the trim on the Red Witch moon phaser i have and it sounds much better to me now. convince me if you think its a bad idea!

Well the Red Witch dude put the trim on their phaser for you to tweak it by hand while the folks at Boss put theirs on for calibration.

If you take a good pencil (or maybe even a 'grease' pencil, ya know, the ones where you peel the paper off the end) you should be able to mark the current settings and then go from there.

Maybe try adjusting the one marked feedback first.

I'm not sure that's Ibanez or Boss that labels them as such but in any case one will directly adjust the feedback level.

I've also found that with some old Boss pedals (esp. analog delays) you really need to hit them with enough voltage to make them work best. Try it with a battery and the correct adapter it calls for on the bottom. Or hit it with 12V.

good luck

• Members

it's not a problem. I used to do it all the time when i had the dm2. One controls the delay time. I set this to max or until it starts to sound like crap. One controls the oscillation. If you want it to self oscillate a little more, turn this one. Another one is the bias and the last one i can't remember. It's no big deal really to turn them in this case. Just mark them and give them a whirl.

• Members

so i had a go at messing with the trim pots...

but first of all, i tried it with 12v and just got a really gargled delay signal that was at about 30% the level it normally would be.. i think it prefers 9v after all?!

So, 3 trim pots: delay time, number/level of repeats and one that adds a really high pitched noise to the delay.

there's so much more delay time that stock in this thing, but as soon as you take it more than a few mm from its proper position you start hearing the high frequency noise.

before i messed with anything i was getting 298ms, i upped it to the point where i couldn't hear any high freq noise - now its gets 317ms.. not a huge leap, but it suits me better.

the middle of the trims just added the noise going left or right, and with higher delay times you still couldn't use this to dial out the high frequency noise.

the 3rd trim seemed to effect the number of repeats and volume of the repeats. it has a really short range.. maybe from 11 oclock to 3 oclock where either side of this and you would get nothing. at the first sign of repeats on the 11 oclock side the repeats were quieter (maybe 50% volume) and reducedto maybe 6 or 7 repeats. somewhere in 12-1 oclock area you can find sweet spots of 18/19 repeats compared to the stock 15/16. i think those extra 2 or 3 repeats are quite useful so i went for that setting.. no noticable effect on the signal because of it..

anyway.. that's what happend. i'm glad i tinkered a bit, but i did have to put a decent bit of work into dialling out an almost inaudible high pitched frequency. i imagine anyone over 40, or a seasoned metaller, might struggle to even hear this frequency..

i don't think returning to stock settings, or near as damn it, would be too difficult. the guy talking about oscilloscopes etc was talking out of his arse after all ! :)

thanks guys.

Archived