ot: u know, I had a really strange realization whch cn only frm living outside the us

seifukusha

• Members

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/17/oj.simpson/index.html

Im a proud American like anyone else. I do, I love my country. I think we're awesome. But when I called home yesterday, mom just told me about what was all over the news:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/17/oj.simpson/index.html

OJ

and then on my side of the world, i was watching about the poor families of India and what they do to scrape out a living, esp illegal child labor, like garbage collecting in the dumps, etc. It was heartbreaking.

man, we live in a strange world....

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im a proud American like anyone else. I do, I love my country. I think we're awesome. But when I called home yesterday, mom just told me about what was all over the news:

OJ

and then on my side of the world, i was watching about the poor families of India and what they do to scrape out a living, esp illegal child labor, like garbage collecting in the dumps, etc. It was heartbreaking.

man, we live in a strange world....

Turns out people would rather judge O.J. than themselves. They're the ones buying the crap they sell during the commercial breaks, so that's the news that's going to run.

• Members

I think the point is that the media is a reflection of the people.

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Does media reflect us, or are we a product of the media?

I tend to agree with you, TFR, that the media is a reflection of the people. As long as we're willing to watch it and pay for it, it reflects us. That said, I don't watch television anymore. I get my news online, and if it doesn't interest me, like OJ doesn't interest me, then I come to HCFX and hear about it from you guys :lol:

• Members

Turns out people would rather judge O.J. than themselves. They're the ones buying the crap they sell during the commercial breaks, so that's the news that's going to run.

I feel sorry for O.J. even, and especially, if he did do all the things he's been accused of. I suppose some people will think I'm crazy for feeling that way but I'm having a harder time these days getting satisfaction from seeing people brought down, even if it is their own doing. I agree with John Donne's assertion that one person's trouble affects us all.

• Members

I think the point is that the media is a reflection of the people.

I dont know about that.

The media is just big business trying to sell products.

Did people ever really want to see 50 McDonalds commercials every day? I dont think so. I think its business controlling the media which of course impacts on the people, not the other way around.

• Members

I dont know about that.

The media is just big business trying to sell products.

Did people ever really want to see 50 McDonalds commercials every day? I dont think so. I think its business controlling the media which of course impacts on the people, not the other way around.

I agree with everything you're saying here except that I think it's a two-way rather than a one-way street. Big business and the media ARE people. It's people impacting people who in turn impact more people. I think the ultimate responsibility belongs with people. I also think it's critical that we teach our children how to be discerning individuals who aren't easily manipulated. Of course, there's nothing new under the sun and people will continue to express their "individuality" by buying into the latest craze along with millions of others.

• Members

I agree with everything you're saying here except that I think it's a two-way rather than a one-way street. Big business and the media ARE people. It's people impacting people who in turn impact more people. I think the ultimate responsibility belongs with people. I also think it's critical that we teach our children how to be discerning individuals who aren't easily manipulated. Of course, there's nothing new under the sun and people will continue to express their "individuality" by buying into the latest craze along with millions of others.

Ok, so big business and the media are technically people, but they arent The People. You know?

But yes, you have to educate people so they dont get manipulated, its just sad to see that so many people are either not educated or even worse not willing to listen. Its this state of affairs where advertisers thrive and the hole we're all sitting in just keeps on getting deeper.

• Members
Ok, so big business and the media are technically people, but they arent The People. You know?

But yes, you have to educate people so they dont get manipulated, its just sad to see that so many people are either not educated or even worse not willing to listen. Its this state of affairs where advertisers thrive and the hole we're all sitting in just keeps on getting deeper.

What? Did somebody say something? I was busy eating a Big Mac while jamming out to some Fall Out Boy and texting my buds on my iPhone. Do you like my new shoes? :D

Archived