So what's up with the Line 6 MM4...

Runenees

• Members

...has anyone tried it and got some coments on it?

Pros and cons?

How does it work? Do I set each buttom to a preset with some effects or are there one effect per button and then you can use as many effects as you want at a time or?

I'm getting some pedals and I'm thinking about this and a delay so that I will save some money and space, but I wanna know if it's worth it :thu:

• Members

I think it's worth it. It's the longest lasting pedal on my board. You save an effect to any of the 4 footswitches by tweaking the knobs to your liking and then holding down a button for a few seconds. You cannot combine effects. I like the Flangers, Tremolos and Phasers the best but it also has good Vibrato and Panner effects. Out of the 3 Choruses I like the Dimension model the best. The good thing about it is that if you grow tired of using a particular effect you can always assign a preset to something else, you know, as your FX moods change. : )

Also, it's true bypass and you can run it in stereo. The Jet Flanger sounds great in stereo and you'll need a stereo set-up for the Panner effect, obviously.

I've got an MM4 on my modulation / delay board. It's pretty cool, but better at some sorts of effects (vibrato, Leslie, panning) than others (Uni-Vibe).

As far as the four buttons (which some people have had mechanical / reliability problems with - but knock on wood, mine have been fine so far), here's how they work:

There's 16 basic effects models on the MM4, ranging from phaser to chorus to flange, etc. etc. You call up one of the effects and modify it to taste with the various knobs, then you can store that as a preset to one of the four footswitches. Each switch can therefore recall or bypass one effect, and since there are four switches, you can preset up to four different effects for instant recall. You can NOT use two effects at the same time though. However, if you have a expression pedal, you can have two different variations of the same effect per preset, and either switch or morph between the two with the pedal. For example, one of my settings is a Leslie simulator, and when I hit the expression pedal, I can go from a slow speed swirl to a fast swirl on the Leslie speed.

• Members

I've tried one, my imrpession is that its ok if not great.

None of the effects are really bad sounding, but they all have a pretty similar vibe to them. Nothing leaps out and goes "hey check this out!", depending on how you feel that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

• Members

Okay. Thanks for the input all. I actually thought the way you set up the buttons with effects sounded good, but I thought you could use all four effects at one time if you wanted to... Maybe you won't use two or more at the same time very often, but still I think it's a shame that you can't...

Archived