The CE-2 is just awesome

Ostracized

• Members

I've said it here a few times before, but I just want to again say how great this pedal is.

It's best sounding chorus I've ever played, and I own the Taiwanese one. I've never played the CE-1, so how does that compare?

Also, why can't Boss just make a pedal like this today? The CE-5 and the CH-1 are both terrible. Is it an expense issue?

• Members

Also, why can't Boss just make a pedal like this today? The CE-5 and the CH-1 are both terrible. Is it an expense issue?

Because Boss are muppets and just miss the point of why classic Boss pedals are so sort coveted, like the CE-2.

They insist of this COSM bollocks. For every (COSM sucsess like) RE-20 Space Echo there is a plethora of {censored} like PH-3 and BF-3.

They seem blind to the fact that that they could make some sort of Boss Classic Reissue series of CE-2, VB-2, Slow Gear, FZ-2 etc. Some poeple will claim the "can't get the components anymore" but that again is just bollocks, it's possible to make these pedals again.

I own the CE-2 and its great, and I've played both the CE-5 and CH-1 and both were just didn't do it for me.

• Members

The CE-2 sounds completely different from any other boss chorus including the ce-3. It maintains the "thinner chorus tone" which is a good thing in the ce-2's case, but it sounds a lot richer than any other boss chorus. (excluding ce-1...no experience there). The CE2-B is also a great chorus.

• Members

My friend has one, barely uses it and won't sell it to me.
:mad:

Some friend.

:rolleyes:

I just picked up a well-used MIJ Arion SCH-1.

I have a CE-2 on my board regularly,

but I'm gonna do a shootout between the two and see if the Arion can take the spot of the Boss.

I like everything about the CE-2 except that it can't do Leslie sounds.

so we'll see....

• Members
Because Boss are muppets and just miss the point of why classic Boss pedals are so sort coveted, like the CE-2.

They insist of this COSM bollocks. For every (COSM sucsess like) RE-20 Space Echo there is a plethora of {censored} like PH-3 and BF-3.

They seem blind to the fact that that they could make some sort of Boss Classic Reissue series of CE-2, VB-2, Slow Gear, FZ-2 etc. Some poeple will claim the "can't get the components anymore" but that again is just bollocks, it's possible to make these pedals again.

Probably driven by the fact that they're too expensive to make since they're based on "antiquated" technology that would have to be specially manufactured (like BBD chips etc), which would mean Maxon prices (ie something like US$200+ for a CE-2 reissue) which is just not competitive with the price of the thousands of used CE-2s you can get out there. Who would pay that amount for a new CE-2 when there are 20 on ebay any day of the week for $100-120 each that will last the rest of your lifetime? It doesn't make business sense to invest in a reissue venture when you're going to be undercut by the thousands of products you made 20 years ago. And this is with regard to analogue purists, who are a niche market at best. Looking more broadly, probably 90% of customers probably couldn't give a {censored} about tone so much as fancy digital tricks like step phase, or 10 different modes etc. They see a $200 CE-2 with two knobs and an $150 CE-20 with 10 voices etc, most will opt for for the CE-20 I'd reckon.

Also, the PH-3 and BF-3 aren't cosm, they're just digital {censored}. What's depressing is it took Boss like 17 years or something to update the PH-2, so if that's any indication it looks like we can't expect a PH-5 until 2018 :freak:

• Members
Also, the PH-3 and BF-3 aren't cosm, they're just digital {censored}. What's depressing is it took Boss like 17 years or something to update the PH-2, so if that's any indication it looks like we can't expect a PH-5 until 2018
:freak:

The PH-5 could sound {censored}in' awful then !!

I have a PH-3 for the comedy value I got very cheap, one day I plan to record some demos of it vs other phasers I have (Psilocybe, variosu P90, small stone, Ibanez PH-9 etc) to show how BAD it really is.

• Members
The PH-5 could sound {censored}in' awful then !!

I have a PH-3 for the comedy value I got very cheap, one day I plan to record some demos of it vs other phasers I have (Psilocybe, variosu P90, small stone, Ibanez PH-9 etc) to show how BAD it really is.

Yeah, the PH-3 isn't so hot for normal phase sounds, especially with the others you have, but the step mode can be fun for brief "WTF" moments.

Other than that, yeah, not much love for that pedal, but then again, I'm not big on the PH-2 either. The PH-1 and PH-1r, however... :love::love::love:

Oh, and yeah, the CE-2 is pretty cool, too. :)

• Members

Boss resissues. . .meh, I'd rather they just keep making new stuff. They could stand to speed up the product cycle a bit though.

I suppose I wouldn't mind new stuff if it sounded great and moved things forward.

I personally can't get excited about the Metal-core or the Deluxe Reverb pedals, so if it was between pedals like those and reissuing the VB-2, I'd take the reissue in a heartbeat.

• Members

I suppose I wouldn't mind new stuff if it sounded great and moved things forward.

I personally can't get excited about the Metal-core or the Deluxe Reverb pedals, so if it was between pedals like those and reissuing the VB-2, I'd take the reissue in a heartbeat.

I just think it would be easier for them to speed up the product cycle, put out three or four pedals I hate and one that I like, than to dig in and make a bunch of (or a few) really killer pedals that only people like us care about.

Archived