If you can actually PLAY guitar,you will sound good on any amp!!

skipstar59

• Members

First of all this is not how I feel I did NOT make this statement.This was taken from quote from a guy on another forum. Here's his quote:

"Equipment is overrated. If you can actually play guitar you will sound good with any amp. I have the MS2 and I have recorded direct with it and even used it on a 412 Greenback cab. It sounded good. Not kind of good, it sounded good."

This was a reference to my Mini Marshall MS-2 amp clip. I'd like hear what you guys feel about his statement, "If you an actually play guitar you will sound good with any amp."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone who is not only a skilled guitarist, but also knows how to EQ properly will always sound good. Their playing style and signature "tone" will shine through - whether that's on a $4000 Orange Stack, or a $100 Fender Frontman 15w.

Personally, I use a Marshall Solid State halfstack and sound fine - I actually get complimented on my tone, to be honest. Now, since I bought the halfstack, I've tried tons of other amps - mainly tube. And to be honest, my playing sounded the same through them. It was still "my tone" coming out of the amp. In technical terms, a $1500 all-tube Fender Supersonic amp should blow a Marshall SS amp away. And yet, I still sounded like myself through it. The same went for Blues Jr.'s, Champ600's, Hot Rod Deluxe's, Hot Rod Deville's, and everything else I tried.

Because of this, I'm perfectly happy with my current amp. I sound like myself through it, it takes pedals well, and it gets loud enough or quiet enough for any application I need it for. What else do you need in an amp?

I 100% agree that the player makes the gear. Whether that means guitars, amps, cables, or whatever else. :thu:

• Members

there's a line you draw though. heh. for example, you're not going to play metal with a fender twin reverb... you're not going to play crystal clean jazz or country with a 5150.. etc.

also, there's a difference between sounding "good" to an audience of non-guitar players, and sounding GREAT to everyone :p

• Members

there's a linme you draw though. heh. for example, you're not going to play metal with a fender twin reverb... you're not going to play crystal clean jazz or country with a 5150.. etc.

That's what pedals are for. :p

Who says you can't throw a teh BROO7ALZ distortion in front of a Twin Reverb?

As for jazz with a 5150, I agree, it would be difficult at anything but low volumes. It still could be done though.

:poke:

• Members

also, there's a difference between sounding "good" to an audience of non-guitar players, and sounding GREAT to everyone
:p

If you're a good enough guitarist you'll sound like yourself no matter what.

A perfect example of this is Jimi Hendrix. In the studio, he not only used various amps (Vox, Marshall, Fender), he also used various GUITARS. And still, he sounds just like you'd imagine if he were playing with a Strat through 4 Marshall full stacks.

• Members

Generally speaking. Yes you are correct, but when you're in the studio or writing music, getting a certain sound may mean using certain devices no matter how good you are. Certain songs call for different tones. And that things get boring and you need to change the sound.

• Members

I think it's misleading, and borderline ridiculous because:

* Tone is in the brain, via the ears, NOT in the fingers, though finger picking vs a pick does sound different

* Technique is in the fingers, and will help one coax nuances out of equipment

While a seasoned player is just that, a seasoned player, their tone IS dependent on their gear. If you don't believe me and think that their tone is in their fingers, ask them to get a Flanger tone without plugging in their electric guitar, or get feedback, or delay tones, higher gain etc... or have them while playing unplugged, change the tone of their unplugged Les Paul, Tele or Strat sound like a Dobro or an acoustic guitar preferably a Gibson J200, or have them make a steel string acoustic sound like a ukulele, or a classical nylon string. ;) It ain't gonna happen

I think the reason most seasoned guys sound like themselves, no matter what they play through, is because they tend to dial in the sound they prefer, no matter what they play on, AND their touch on the instrument (technique) is uniquely theirs. I think a given player playing through a clean tone, will tend to dial in particular characteristics, as close as they can, to their favorite clean tone vice versa with a distortion tone.

I've noticed that most seasoned players will play appropriately for the tone/gear the ARE using, rather than trying to dial in a tone that the gear that they are using was NEVER designed to produce in the first place. (They are not likely to, while plugging straight in to a Fender Twin, going to try and play brutal death metal riffs, nor are they likely to while playing through a high gain amp set to do high gain likely to play Stairway to Heaven or ballad type of clean stuff.

my $.02

• Members

I think it's misleading because:

* Tone is in the brain, via the ears, NOT in the fingers, though finger picking vs a pick does sound different

While a seasoned player is just that, a seasoned player, their tone IS dependent on their gear. If you don't believe me and think that their tone is in their fingers, ask them to get a Flanger tone without plugging in their electric guitar, or get feedback, or delay tones, higher gain etc... or have them while playing unplugged, change the tone of their unplugged Les Paul, Tele or Strat sound like a Dobro or an acoustic guitar preferably a Gibson J200, or have them make a steel string acoustic sound like a ukulele, or a classical nylon string.
;)
It ain't gonna happen

I think the reason most seasoned guys sound like themselves, no matter what they play through, is because they tend to dial in the sound they prefer, no matter what they play on, AND their touch on the instrument (technique) is uniquely theirs. I think a given player playing through a clean tone, will tend to dial in particular characteristics, as close as they can, to their favorite clean tone vice versa with a distortion tone.

I've noticed that most seasoned players will play appropriately for the tone/gear the ARE using, rather than trying to dial in a tone that the gear that they are using was NEVER designed to produce in the first place. (They are not likely to, while plugging straight in to a Fender Twin, going to try and play brutal death metal riffs, nor are they likely to while playing through a high gain amp set to do high gain likely to play Stairway to Heaven or ballad type of clean stuff.

my $.02

Adding in effects changes the argument entirely - you're 100% right with that. No matter how good someone is, they won't be able to add effects to an unplugged guitar. It just isn't possible. However, the argument at hand is about sounding good through any amp.

If we're talking effects, I can' agree more. A guitarist won't sound the same without their pedalboard. However, just a guitar and an amp is something different entirely.

• Members

Adding in effects changes the argument entirely - you're 100% right with that. No matter how good someone is, they won't be able to add effects to an unplugged guitar. It just isn't possible. However, the argument at hand is about sounding good through any amp.

If we're talking effects, I can' agree more. A guitarist won't sound the same without their pedalboard. However, just a guitar and an amp is something different entirely.

No, the argument was about equipment, and wasn't limited, as I took it. Though I would love to hear the guy who made the ridiculous assertion regarding the amp, have a 9V pignose with a 3 inch speaker, sound like a Marshall Plexi Full Stack. Ain't gonna happen either. My argument holds, even when taking effects out of the equation

• Members

I think it's misleading, and borderline ridiculous because:

While a seasoned player is just that, a seasoned player, their tone IS dependent on their gear. If you don't believe me and think that their tone is in their fingers, ask them to get a Flanger tone without plugging in their electric guitar, or get feedback, or delay tones, higher gain etc... or have them while playing unplugged, change the tone of their unplugged Les Paul, Tele or Strat sound like a Dobro or an acoustic guitar preferably a Gibson J200, or have them make a steel string acoustic sound like a ukulele, or a classical nylon string.
;)
It ain't gonna happen

my $.02

i 100% agree with you:thu:

• Members

I'm not saying that you'll make one amp sound like another - I'm saying that you'll sound like yourself through any amp if you're a good guitarist. Anyone knows you won't get a tiny Pignose to sound like a Marshall stack. That's obvious. However, a skilled player will still sound like themself through either amp. Their playing skills will come through, and IMO, alter the tone a bit. Not making the amp sound like another amp, but making it sound like their unique tone.

Small things will let the player shine through - even on a POS (But properly working) amp. Things like playing style, pick technique, fretting technique, and countless other things affect the player's tone.

• Members

I'm not saying that you'll make one amp sound like another - I'm saying that you'll sound like yourself through any amp if you're a good guitarist. Anyone knows you won't get a tiny Pignose to sound like a Marshall stack. That's obvious. However, a skilled player will still sound like themself through either amp. Their playing skills will come through, and IMO, alter the tone a bit. Not making the amp sound like another amp, but making it sound like their unique tone.

Small things will let the player shine through - even on a POS (But properly working) amp. Things like playing style, pick technique, fretting technique, and countless other things affect the player's tone.

Being good is not a component of sounding like yourself through any amp. If you suck, you'll sound like yourself through any amp too. How could anyone NOT sound like themselves?

Van Halen will sound like Van Halen whether he's playing through a Plexi Stack or a Twin, I doubt he'll choose to play the same way or play the same things though.

You are trying to interchangeably use the word tone for sound-like (and they are NOT) in this topic- interchangeable.

• Members

i think what the folks who you read about meant was a good player can make a {censored}ty setup scream. and its true.

but id still rather play through something thats responsive and sounds great tone-wise. id also rather hear someone else playing through something sweet, no matter how good they are.

when the tones good it pushes me to play longer, and makes me more comfortable so i can actually concentrate on playing instead of fiddling with tone knobs and pedals to sweeten it up a little.

a guitar is a versatile instrument, and because of all the possibilities (micro-bends/slurrs/technique/etc.) a persons vibe can shine through a crappy setup. but as far as the tone of the setup itself, that does have alot to do with gear.

take a LP through a marshall. if zakk wylde holds a basic open E and strums it - it will sound the same if pee-wee herman held the chord and strummed it the same way.

• Members

It is true that a great guitarist will sound good with any equipment they use.

But, a guitarist using very good equipment, will feel impressed by the tone they achieve, and hopefully (and usually, although not always the case) be inspired and motivated to improve their playing.

Basically, if you sound good, it will inspire you to play better.

If your tone is {censored}, you feel disappointed and don't put as much enthusiasm into your playing.

• Members

I think a great player, playing on crappy sounding gear, will sound like a great player with crappy sounding gear. It's really not any more complicated than that.

The same great player, playing on GREAT sounding gear, will sound like a GREAT player with great sounding gear.

Same for a crappy player playing on GREAT sounding gear. They'll sound like a crappy player playing on great sounding gear, though, they'll NOT likely have the gear sounding as great as it could.

• Members

yea this argument is about as old as the "rack vs. pedals" arguments. People play through whatever they want. End of story. David Gilmour will still sound like him if he played through my rig, and i bet the same would be if he played through Zachmans. It's common sense really. The only people i've heard that cant actually 'play' guitar, are beginners who dont have a clue what there doing. In that case, it doesn't even really matter what there playing through does it.

Archived