Modding an Ibanez FZ7 Fuzz - anyone who does it?

Noise...

• Members

I asked about this a while back, as I had one briefly but didn't really like the sound of it. Indyguitarist has mods for it, but you have to buy the book to get the schematics and then buy the parts for the mod, I think. When I posted here, the guy who runs Indyguitarist.com pm'd me and said he could maybe help me out with some ideas on what to modify if I gave him an idea of what I wanted changed about it, but at that point I didn't really know enough about the circuit to be able to vocalize what I disliked about it.

• Members

Ah...so I guess there's not a company that actually does the mods for you?

I'm completely inexperienced with soldering and circuit stuff. I was hoping there was something like a Keely mod (or a similar company) where I could send the pedal in and get it modded.

I really just want to make it a bit less muddy and maybe lower the amount of fuzz distortion it gives. As it is now, even with the fuzz set to the minimum, it's still a LOT of fuzz distortion.

• Members

I looked at the schematic online, I can do it but would be more than $10 (still super cheap for tech work). Simplest way I see is increase R91 and decrease C16 proportionately for same bass, or decrease C16 more for less bass, or parallel two different R91-C16 strings like a Rat for more a treble rise, all pre-clipping. This thing shows a wierd, complex circuit in the Tone section, and I think the schem shows some extra components.

Archived