David Torn appreciation thread

TheHarakiriEnd

• Members

I have been a fan of his for many years. When I was about 13 I had already went through all the typical shred stuff: Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, etc. I had also gotten into people like Django, Montgomery, and Pass. All of their playing was incredible and made me want to dedicate the rest of my life to learning about my instrument. By the age of 15 I had listened to so many guitarists and the shred thing had really gotten old and stale (already!). I remember finding Frissel, then Kaiser, then Frith, and then DAVID TORN! I was blown away (and still am). His style of music and his ideas have always been so different and fresh. He can create something so other worldy and yet it still feels natural. The kind of music he makes really made me take a step back and re-evaluate where I was going, and what I could do with my instrument. It opened so many new doors that the other artists I had been listening to didn't explore. Cloud about Mercury was the first of his I owned. Then Tripping over God after that I got into the Splattercell stuff. He has never been affraid to try new things and think completely outside the box (more like stomp the box and set it ablaze). Whats brought this on is my recent purchase of Prezens. I slept on this album for awhile. Why I don't know, but it is incredible. It's the little things that really make it special. Like him sampling the horn players while their improving and then running their horns through all kinds of processors after which he slowly blends the 2 signals back together. It creates an atmosphere previously unheard (at least by me), and he turns even the most simple riff into something completely his own. I love his music now just like I have for many years. I just felt I needed to post this and see if anyone else shared my feelings for his music. :thu:

• Members

Some of his stuff is a bit "outside" for my taste, but overall, I think he is an awesome talent and sonic pioneer and I like a lot of what I've heard.
Anyone here seen his "Painting With Sound" video/dvd? I've read about it, but would be curious to see it as I do a lot of ambient guitar stuff myself.

• Members

big influence on me - he got me started on looping and the whole textural thing when i heard "tipping over god". from his posts over at tgp, he seems like a really nice down to earth guy too...with never a bad word to say about anything...always positive.

very inspirational dude.

check out his score for the film "the order" if you havn't heard it...unbelievable...and also "polytown" with bozzio and karn

sim

• Members

Yes I have heard the Order, Polytown, and the Bowie stuff. His Koll guitar looks really interesting. The built in microphones was a really good idea. I would like to try one, and see what kinds of sounds I could create with it. What is his name at the gear page?

When I was 15 I worked on the farmers market in Birmingham during the summer. Then again the next year. I saved my money and bought a Klein guitar because I had seen Torn, Kaiser, Hedges, Summers, and Frissel playing them. I guess I thought if I had the guitar I could be as creative as those guys (lol). I am extremely happy with it, and it's one of if not the only one made from Honduras Mahogany, Brazlian Rosewood, and Red Cedar with a chambered body.

• Members

And for those who don't know it Torn has managed to overcome a physical handicap in recent years to continue working. He lost his hearing in his right ear after surgery for a tumour. Despite this he not only continues to work as a musician but also as a producer despite having to "visualise" the stereo aspects of mixes.

• Members

This thread has made me realize I haven't listened to any Torn's CD's I have in a while, except Bowie's "Heathen." I gotta rectify that today. One thing that always blew me away with his playing was his tone. Warm, fat, overdriven, I even bought the same amp as him twice hoping I could get close to those sounds (one was the SS Pearce (sp?) in the late 80's, the other was the Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve around seven years ago). Similarly, as TheHarakiriEnd stated with the Klein guitar, neither amp served me nearly as well as they did Mr. Torn. I still have yet to see a copy of Splattercell, was it really rare or am I just not looking hard enough?

• Members

I do have a pic. It's not that recent but I'll post it. Theres no way I would ever sell that guitar though. It means alot to me and I have learned/written so much with it. It would be like selling my child (lol).

I had no idea he lost his hearing (one ear). I bet that makes the improv sample stuff he does even more complicated.

As for the Splattercell albums. They file it with the electronic music (at least in Bham). So if your looking at the rock or jazz section that might be why. If you haven't listened to him in awhile though. You should just go buy Prezens put on some headphones and turn out the lights. It really is great!

Archived