Is there any love for Jason Falkner around here?

melx

• Members

I'm guessing Phil might appreciate his work being a beatles and powerpop fan, but what about the rest of you?

I've been listening to 'Can you still feel?' this morning and I was thinking how under rated he is.....and how unknown he is in a lot of circles.

• Members

I have that record!

Author Unknown is a hot track.

The record is pretty good overall, but he wears on me after a few songs. I think it's his singing. :idk:

p.s. what became of the rest of Jellyfish?!

p.p.s. What about Superdrag? You into them Melx?!

• Members
I have that record!

Author Unknown
is a hot track.

The record is pretty good overall, but he wears on me after a few songs. I think it's his singing.
:idk:

p.s. what became of the rest of
Jellyfish
?!

p.p.s. What about
Superdrag
? You into them Melx?!

um....no idea about the rest of jellyfish, but I'm listening to bellybutton right now!!!!

mm...I has a superdrag album once, I didn't really like it...which one would you recommend? I'm more of a fountains of wayne, weezer kinda powerpop guy...you know almost bordering on punk stuff.

Author Unknown is a great track, do you have the album of the same name?

• Members

Can You Still Feel is cool. I think I've got "...presents Author Unknown", and I have the compilation of 4 Track demos. Pretty cool stuff.

There's a Roger Manning who appears playing session keyboards on various albums (the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Jet's first album), who may or may not be the same Roger Manning who was in Jellyfish.

EDIT: It IS the same Roger Manning. http://www.rogerjosephmanningjr.com/

• Members
Can You Still Feel is cool. I think I've got "...presents Author Unknown", and I have the compilation of 4 Track demos. Pretty cool stuff.

There's a Roger Manning who appears playing session keyboards on various albums (the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Jet's first album), who may or may not be the same Roger Manning who was in Jellyfish.

yeah, I think that is the same guy...he also made an album called 'solid state warrior'

http://www.amazon.com/Solid-State-Warrior-Roger-Manning/dp/B000CEK5FY/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-6729812-3776716?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1190306226&sr=8-1

no idea why amazon are charging that for it...... :eek:

• Members
^ Oh man, Superdrag is really good. Fantastic power pop. Just what you're describing!

Check out In the Valley of Dying Stars. It thoroughly rocks. QUOTE]

'lighting the way' is my fave so far......Good album, I like it alot...cheers for the heads up.. :thu:

any other american bands in a similar vein I might not have heard?

I'll put up a sign saying 'gone fishing for powerpop!!' :)

• Members

'lighting the way' is my fave so far......Good album, I like it alot...cheers for the heads up..
:thu:

I'll put up a sign saying 'gone fishing for powerpop!!'
:)

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I'll see what I can dig up.

That album is gonna grow on you if you give it repeat listens!

• Members
It warms my icy little heart to know that there are at least a few other people here who appreciate good powerpop.

All the rest of you are banned!
:mad:;):p:D

do you have any recomendations for me?

I'm looking for the more rockin' power pop, probably something fairly obscure..that I might not know.

I tried some stuff off the 'rainbow quartz' label, which is supposed to be 'home of perfect guitar pop' but it was all a bit 60's sounding...which I like... but I'd rather listen to the byrds than some second rate revivalists!! :)

• Members

I'll put up a sign saying 'gone fishing for powerpop!!'

Tommy Keene - Start with Isolation Party then work forward and backward - He's never put out a dud - really in line with Superdrag and that ilk.

Nada Surf - Great band - start anywhere.

That's it for now - Superdrag is a cool band to explore - Their last record has a song called 'Like I Do" (I think) that just kills me.

Archived