The RING MODULATOR LOUNGE

SpectralJulian

• Members

Post your favorite settings, share clips of inventive ring modulator usage, talk about your favorite ring mod, whatever!

I wrote a thing on my blog that I tried to get going about ring modulator usage: it has some helpful hints. http://pedalphile.blogspot.com/2007/08/getting-more-mileage-out-of-your-ring.html

Here are some discoveries since then:

Pushing down on the strings near the pickups is a great way to tune your ring mod if you are having troubles tuning it to a certain note. If you've got a nice tuner after it, it is great help.

C# seems to be the best note to tune a ring modulator to. A good combination of notes that sound "right" and also the quirky ring mod notes.

You can play your ring mod like a knob controlled VCO by touching the tip of the guitar cord. Make sure you are grounded though. (If my foot is on the frequency analyzer, only the note comes through, otherwise the buzzing noise is getting RM'd)

• Members

The EHX one should at least have a tuner out, as big as that thing is.
The Frostwave one may or may not have an internal oscillator (I forget), but you can run any signal into it as the carrier or oscillator. :love:

I just bought an Android. I've been meaning to get one forever because I actually like the distortion it has. I can't find a clip, but if you download "Something Bigger, Something Brighter" by Pretty Girls Make Graves, there's a sorta lead section that sounds like a dirty ring mod. I love using that for lead tones.

I sort of wish it had the low pass feature from the Freq. Analyzer though.

• Members

A tuner/VCO out would be cool to have, but you can hear the VCO by pushing down on the strings or touching the tip of a 1/4" cable while being grounded, so it isn't a big deal for me.

I'm pretty sure the Frostwave as an internal oscillator.

Here's a mod for carrier in on a Frequency Analyzer: http://experimentalistsanonymous.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=376 (he mis-labels it as CV, which isn't quite correct, because you send an audio signal to the jack)

Dano's frequency analyzer rehouse

http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/fa%5Frehouse/

I might rehouse my frequency analyzer or get it rehoused. If I do I'm going to have a CV/Expression control over the shift knob.

• Members

I sold my Frostwave Blue Ringer after I got the Moogerfooger ringmod, it's much more musical and user friendly (and does a fantastic tremolo effect as well), the Frostwave is definitely the most extreme ringmod I've ever heard
also still have the EHX Frequency Analyzer, not a ringmod in the true sense, but close enough, perfectly voiced for guitar, not at all harsh, great for those bassy ringmod effects,
I like to dial in a thin razorsharp fuzz sound with a ringmod, and use a booster to add some more oomph

• Members

Yes it does. My Stereo Memory Man gets ring mods sounds in reverse mode too. My phaser gets close to ring mod, but it sounds like barf when you make it go that fast.

But you need to get a ring mod to get the full range of sounds, any pedal that gets into ring mod territory really doesn't do that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

True sense might mean "transformer matrix" which i think sounds kinda crappy for the most part. Its dirty and cumbersome but I like it in the ringtone because its small. Modulator chips make a better cleaner and more bell-like to to me and it doesn't hurt that they are often cheaper. Theyre also in 90% of ring mods on the market.

Ive had the EHX, The aformentioned rehoused EHX, the frantone glacier, the lovetone ring stinger, the DOD, the Moog, and the ZVex. The only one I still own is the zvex and the best sounding one on the market is still the EHX.

• 1 month later...

Archived