OT: We're so screwed (race relations content).

NoirAbattoir

• Members

So I'm checking out at the local supermarket down here in New Orleans. The assistant manager comes over and hands something to the cashier and quickly walks away. As she does, the cashier (~18 year old Black woman) tries to get her attention. The assistant manager doesn't hear her and continues to walk away. The cashier then says, "Stupid White..." She stops herself when she realizes that I'm a White guy standing right in front of her. I'm kinda dumbfounded and I just said, "Why? Why would you say that?" She just kinda looked at me like, "whatever."

So I muster this polite bit about how not all White people are ignorant and hateful and that I don't know how we're going to get it together in this country. When the manager comes over to ask about what's up I told her that the pens they scanned weren't coming up with the sale price. I then mention that the cashier hurled a racial slur at the assistant manager. As I am about to leave I foolishly tried to say something more to the young lady. I really probably shouldn't have bothered, but these kinds of things are very close to my career and my heart. I was respectful, but I just wanted to let her know that being hateful isn't going to change our world.

So in the lane beside ours this Black guy starts ranting and raving at me. Basically yelling at me telling me to let it go because I got her in trouble with her boss. I didn't even say a word to this guy, but before you know it, the Black woman in the lane beside his is saying stuff to me. I then look to my right and there's another Black woman glaring at me like I'm the {censored}ing Antichrist. The security guard actually had to come over to get in between us. I simply left and the guy was still ranting, "I'm about to hurl some racial slurs around here!"

I don't feel what I did was wrong. If it was a White person hurling racial slurs at a Black person I would have done the same thing.

If these people even knew how I conducted my classroom as a teacher, their jaws would probably {censored}ing drop. I work very hard to infuse my curriculum with Black culture because all of my students are Black. I teach the truth about American history. However, I am not interested in developing students who will grow up with a heart full of hate. That won't help them succeed in life, and it won't make our world a better place for the next generation. Our world is becoming increasingly diverse. People need to learn how to overcome those ignorant drives that make them see only a persons' skin color and racial heritage.

I can't and won't let this change how I look at people of color.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sounds like New Orleans sucks. In my experience a certain amount of racism towards whites is accepted in a lot of black communities. It's the same w/ whites. Where I'm originally from it's pretty accepted to be 'somewhat' racist.

Well, yeah, look at what happened in Jena, LA. That place must be like 1962, for Chrissakes.

• Members

Could anyone from the south add some insight to contemporary southern race relations? I'm from the Boston area, so this whole deal is very new to me.

My PS prof describes it as "The north loves the race, but hates the person. The south loves the person, but hates the race."

You see it all the time in the north. Everyone ostensibly is cool with black people, but you still see white flight every time black people move anywhere near the whites. I live near Saginaw, and it's one of the most segregated towns in the country. Black people have been moving into township for a while, and all the white people are leaving. I think it's ridiculous that this still happens.

I don't have any personal experience with racism in the south, so I won't directly comment on that.

• Members

My PS prof describes it as "The north loves the race, but hates the person. The south loves the person, but hates the race."

You see it all the time in the north. Everyone ostensibly is cool with black people, but you still see white flight every time black people move anywhere near the whites. I live near Saginaw, and it's one of the most segregated towns in the country. Black people have been moving into township for a while, and all the white people are leaving. I think it's ridiculous that this still happens.

QUOTE]

Wow, that makes a {censored}load of sense. :idea:

• Members

Racism period sucks. Racist black kids are pretty annoying though because they think every white kid's racist.

Here's the thing: We're all struggling with racist tendencies. Part of it may be long-standing biological drives that make us fear faces that are unlike our own, but mostly I think it's just all the media messages that seep their way into our subconcious minds. Messages designed to keep us seperate, keep us at each other's throats, keep us divided. The miniscule minority who hold most of the cash in our country have a vested interest in keeping the masses (working-class poor Whites and people of color) at each other's throats. See, if we're fighting over the scraps in the corner, we never even notice all the open seats at the table those {censored}ers sit at.

• Members

Heh, I didn't even think about that. Political Science.

I was a Poli-Sci major for a couple semesters. I {censored}ing loved the coursework, but I really needed to be able to make some dough when I graduated. I became a social worker, instead. I now have my master's degree in elementary education.

• Members

dude, you should be in Korea. There is nutso racism here, like last night, some person i know (who to be honest, i know has a miserable existence, so i feel bad for her anyway) said right in front of me (to another person) "dont you know, americans are dirty." now, if you dont know it, Korea is generally a dirty country (not as bad as Egypt or Cambodia, Ive heard), but there is trash every where here...but still "we are dirty" anyway, shes never been to America, so chalk one up for ignorance...

• Members

I think that the people in the shopping mart may be coming from this perspective. "Blacks have had racial slurs slung at them for hundreds of years. You get bent out of shape for overhearing one! Get over it lightweight!"

However, I'm with you. Racial slurs should not be tolerated by anyone for any reason. And I would think that anyone who has been on the receiving end of such transgressions would be especially sensitive to them and would certainly refrain from such transgressions themselves.

• Members

most of the flat earthers are long gone but you have basically the equivelent as a majority when it comes to the fact that everyone who is about to post in this thread and everyone else is a kind of african ape.yes thats right,wether you like it or not,no matter how much you kick and scream while trying to firmly grasp the edge of your flat earth and hold on for dear life,you are a type of african ape.

heres the funny thing.the differences between say,a black dude,a white dude,and an asian dude,genetically,is a miniscule fraction to the differences between other primates who live even closer to each other.theres practically no difference in the races.

now culture on the other hand,and as i have said here before,is man made.race is evolution made.culture in my opinion is totally up to scrutiny.if black people want to talk about white culture,that is fine.it isnt race,its culture.man made ideas that anyone has a right to weigh in on.same with whites,hispanics etc.

• Members
I think that the people in the shopping mart may be coming from this perspective. "Blacks have had racial slurs slung at them for hundreds of years. You get bent out of shape for overhearing one! Get over it lightweight!"

QUOTE]

You may be entirely correct. But yeah, what kinda worries me about our world is the idea that one kind of hatred is better (or more acceptable) than another. It's not.

Someone last year here basically argued that Black people have a right to feel hatred, it was a justified hatred. In my eyes, no hatred is justified.

• Members

I think I'm a little bit racist, basically because I don't really know any African Americans. I don't understand thier culture and I'm a little frightened of them because I don't know how to be around them. Chalk it up to growing up in a small town in Wisconsin. It's more about culture than race though. I've lived in Belgium for two years, and I know tons of real Africans, and I feel pretty comfortable with them; It's just that I've never known any American blacks.

• Members

I think I'm a little bit racist, basically because I don't really know any African Americans. I don't understand thier culture and I'm a little frightened of them because I don't know how to be around them. Chalk it up to growing up in a small town in Wisconsin. It's more about culture than race though. I've lived in Belgium for two years, and I know tons of real Africans, and I feel pretty comfortable with them; It's just that I've never known any American blacks.

Yeah, it's really a matter of ignorance. Since our culture is the one that's thrown at us every day, and to be quite honest, it's an upper-class, White culture that's thrown at us, we feel totally insulated and have no understanding for other cultures.

Don't feel bad, though, ignorance is rampant among all cultures. I had a Cambodian guy sincerely tell me that all White people look alike to him. And working in truly diverse communities in the past (where three or more races live and work amongst each other quite closely, I see all the hatred between differing races). I've seen Dominicans who hate Hatians, Puerto Ricans who hate Dominicans, Asians who hate Blacks, etc, etc, etc...

• Members

we feel totally insulated and have no understanding for other cultures.

Don't feel bad, though, ignorance is rampant among all cultures.

You know, cultural ignorance isn't something that I often feel bad about, having lived in Wisconsin for 18 yrs., Copenhagen for 2 yrs., and Brussles for 2 yrs. (one of the most international cities on the planet); going to a college of 200 people with 30 countries represented, and knowing four languages. It's just that I don't have a clue about African American culture. I wish I did, but I have nowhere to learn it (not in Brussles anyway).

Archived