Zoom G2. Good for just delays?

PurpleStrat

• Members

nah. Has some cool fx on it. Ring mod that you can manipulatte w/expression pedal, auto wah, dirty gate, pitch shifters, nice chorus and tremolo sounds etc. etc. ..... of course you have to erase the presets and make your own patches. Drives are pretty bogus. Small, compact case. Easy to use. Delays are pretty good although they trail off a little fast for me.

• Members

nah. Has some cool fx on it. Ring mod that you can manipulatte w/expression pedal, auto wah, dirty gate, pitch shifters, nice chorus and tremolo sounds etc. etc. ..... of course you have to erase the presets and make your own patches. Drives are pretty bogus. Small, compact case. Easy to use. Delays are pretty good although they trail off a little fast for me.

Yeah I would never use a digital box for dirt. I got that covered. I just need a delay, octave and mabye pitch shifiting. Since thats all digital anyway I figure why not get it in one?

• Members

Personally I love the pitch shifters on it... has 3 types I think.. Aside from the straight pitch shifter, there is one that is controlled by an expression pedal. Another is supposed to sound like a 'broken' pitch shifter which makes some great weird glitchy sounds.. I reccomend it personally if what you are looking for is a pitch bender and delay. Has alot of different delay sounds in it also.

• Members

I originally got mine for the effects - delay, pitch shift, chorus, phaser, etc. But, I've found that with a bit of effort the distortions can be dialled in too. It doesn't compete with true amp distortion, or a good pedal. But, sometimes, it's just easier to bring along one pedal that is already set up for the 3 or 4 needed sounds. And in some cases it's more than close enough. (Although I wouldn't want to be trying to tweak it in the middle of a live gig.)

• Members

Nope.

...it'll work fine for modulation/time-based/ambience effects.

You could take a look at the B2 too, since it has an octave on the first effects section, so you could actually have octave, pitch shift and delay going on at the same time (plus some "synth" effects) - but it has fewer effects on the mod/sfx and reverb modules when compared with the G2.

hmmmmm

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/b1/index.php

b1 is cheaper too. it has the same verbs as well...hmmm

• Members

If we're not talking budget (?) then the Rocktron Utopia might be a good idea too.

Not budget so much as size. I play with just fuzz, dirt, wah and a Rotovibe 95% of the time. So I don't really need a bunch of other effects in the chain that hardly get used. I would be returning my EHX Octave pedal (volume drop) to pick pick up the G2.

• Members

It can loop like the pds series of digitech delays - ie it holds what is in the delay time. It's got up to 5 seconds i think. You do need an external footswitch to use the hold though.

Turn the feedback really high (90 to max) and you'll get a loop - if you start doing lots of overdubs then some of the first ones might fade away.

With an external footswitch you'll get alot more control though - as you can press the footswitch to hold something and then just play over it without "recording" anything.

• Members

i wonder if the g1 is the same pedal, just in plastic...

No, the G1 is NOT the same pedal. It doesn't have the same control over parameters that the G2 has, and therefore doesn't have the flexibility.

I keep meaning to integrate my G2 into my rig a little more. I bought it primarily for recording, so it's been sat next to my PC doing nothing most of the time I've had it, but the effects are pretty cool and deserve more use than they currently get.

• Members

The G1 doesn't have the same chip as the G2.

I use my G2 for delays mostly. You can have three running at once and it has tap-tempo, but you can't move the delay in front of the pitch shifters.

I also use it for compression(really not bad), 6-band eq and the intelligent harmonizer which works very well.

The drives can sound really good if set up properly.

• Members

I was under the impression that the external footswitch simply acted as a tap tempo switch. Does it loop with all of the delay patches, or just certain ones? Any suggestions as to which footswitch to get? I'm going to try an amp switch but I'm guessing that wont work

• Members

I was under the impression that the external footswitch simply acted as a tap tempo switch. Does it loop with all of the delay patches, or just certain ones? Any suggestions as to which footswitch to get? I'm going to try an amp switch but I'm guessing that wont work

The switch can be set any of several ways- you can set it to loop delays, tap tempo for delay and some (all?) of the modulation effects or turn an effect module on or off, or you can connect an expression pedal and control various parameters that way. There's a separate module that allows you to program how the pedal works on each patch.

What I'd REALLY like to know is whether there's a way to connect a momentary switch AND an expression pedal without trading in my G2 for a G2.1u.

• Members

What I'd REALLY like to know is whether there's a way to connect a momentary switch AND an expression pedal without trading in my G2 for a G2.1u.

There was a thread somewhere where someone tried to hook up a G2 via USB and even got it recognized as new hardware... It couldn't record though.

So, considering that it has the same USB path it may be possible to find a way to do that... But I'm afraid it's some fairly intricate stuff to mess with.

• Members

There was a thread somewhere where someone tried to hook up a G2 via USB and even got it recognized as new hardware... It couldn't record though.

So, considering that it has the same USB path it may be possible to find a way to do that... But I'm afraid it's some fairly intricate stuff to mess with.

Yikes. Since the G2 doesn't actually have a USB socket, this would involve some serious hacking, which I would reckon would be beyond most analog modders and circuit benders... :(

• Members

Yikes. Since the G2 doesn't actually have a USB socket, this would involve some serious hacking, which I would reckon would be beyond most analog modders and circuit benders...
:(

Yeah... I wouldn't try the USB hacking thingy...

Anyway, I guess that momentary switch + expression pedal thing is not as intricate.

It may be worth to check that out...

(We posted at the same time so I figure...)

Archived