Seeking practice help (tone content)

DanJep

• Members

So, I just got married and my wife and I moved into a new apartment here in California. Sadly, my rent is as much as many of your mortgages! Since I share a building with 7 other tenants my blues jr. is too much to use. I am selling my xt live because I'm just too busy to deal with editing the patches. What are your thoughts on the Roland Micro Cube. I can get one through guitar center on the cheap and I've heard a few good things. Can anyone else expand on pros and cons? Sei, you have one right? how does it take to pedals?

• Members
I like the way you think!
:wave:

:wave:

I don't know about the Microcube. A lot of people really like them, but it sounded a bit stale to my ears when I heard it being played in a store. The Vox Valvetronix amps were the same to me. Just a bit sterile.

I can only suggest trying it out. You may love it.

I don't know how it takes pedals though...

• Members

You guys have no idea how great you have it now. When I got married 19 years ago and lived in the apartment, all I had to choose from was a rocktron soloist. My Marshall stack sat in storage.:cry:

Personally, I'd keep the xt live and get a great set of cans. The xt can sound good through the home stereo as well...especially the home theatre system.

I've heard the microcube, and that is good too...you just have to set everything up manually...not like the xt live where you have a floorboard built in.

• Members

You may like to check out the Tech 21 Amps...they used to have a 10 watt version, but thats since been replaced by a 30 watt version. Its solid state so you can play it down low no worries, its got almost identical controls to the Micro cube I think. Its made in the USA and has a headphone out.

I have the 10 watt version at home, its ace.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/tm30.html

TM30_05.jpg

• Members

Honestly, I know this is going to sound dumb, but these little orange micro practice amps sound surprisingly decent:
http://www.orangeamps.com/crush/microcrush/newindex.htm

It's obviously not the same level of tone you'd get from a real amp, but is great for casual apartment practicing I think. We did a show a couple months ago opening for Marc Ford and he actually had one backstage (so did we...it was kind of strange because they were both like 1 day old at the time-it took a second for everyone to realize there was more than one floating around). Very handy for vacations or touring also.

Probably not the solution you're looking for, but wanted to call attention to it because I think they're surprisingly cool for what they are, and for the $$$.

• Members

living in a flat i have the same problem. i want a tube amp but wuth reasonable volume. i have a peavey classic 30 and a laney lc15r, no way that those two suit for home use.

i tried the epi valve junior in a store and our bassist sayed "damn you always have to be the loudest in the store, don't matter how big the amp you use is"

i also tried the new fender champ, same problem as with the epi...

so 5w tube is already too much. only tube which would work might be a zvex nano but they are pretty pricey...

i have a line6 spider II 15 at home now, i don't use the efx and its ok.

a microcube could also be ok, just try it out, also the small voxes could be nice

Archived