footswitches for rack

Urinate Forever

• Members

Aiight, so I just got my non latching footswitch for my rack mounted delay. works fine for the bypass (didn't know that it would). I have a second latching one on the way. Is there any reason this also wouldn't work for the bypass on the delay (it has two footswitch inputs)? I'm also looking into getting a nanoverb and I'd need a footswitch for it, but the manual says non-latching. Why would a latching one not work?

I'm confused between the functions of latching and non latching for something as simple as bypass. I always thought non-latching meant you'd have to hold it down for it to work (like the feedback feature on the DF-2).

Help.

• Members

If the bypass is a electronic rather than "hard" bypass, it may be looking for a "trigger" input, a pulse that the non-latching switch provides. In this case, a latching footswitch wouldn't work because it switches between high and low on each press:

unlatching: 0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0

latching: 0-0-0-0-0-1-1-1-1-1-1-0-0-0-0

see the difference?

It's all in how the delay interprets the signal. If it uses a bypass like a boss pedal, it wants an unlatching switch to trigger the bypass to "flip flop" between active and inactive". On the other hand, if it used a simple circuit (when the switch is open, unit is bypassed, switch is closed, unit is active), a latching footswitch would be appropriate.

Archived