FoxRox ZIM Fuzz card.

MrMunky

• Members

You should definitely get one of these if 1) you like the sound of fuzz into an already sizzling amp---but actually use a clean amp; 2) you are really into fuzz/dirt boxes that "clean up"; or 3) you are into fuzzy/overdrive hybrids.

The Silicon Fuzz ZimCard is really sweet for all of these things. If you crank the drive and run it into a clean amp, it sounds like a silicon fuzz pushing an already overdriven amp. If you back the drive down a bit, it produces really complex harmonic content that reveals the textures of both overdrive and fuzz. Very sweet.

However its set, you can roll your volume knob down and get everything from sparkly clean to cranked tube amp to screaming fuzz.

Here's a short, quick-and-sloppy clip. I'm running the Zim into a clean amp modeler. The Zim is on the whole time on both the lead and rhythm tracks. The Zim and amp settings are constant throughout the entire clip. The only differences come from the volume knob and pickup selector on the tele I was playing.

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/ZimFuzz.mp3

• Members

I'm very fond of the standalone Hot Silicon Fuzz. The Zim card has some of the Hot Silicon's character, but it is different because I believe the Zim also incorporates elements of an overdrive circuit. The Zim card sounds a lot like a Hot Silicon fuzz running into an already overdriven amp, as opposed to just a fuzz on its own. I'm a big fan of running a fuzz into a clean amp, so I think I'll be hanging on to the Hot Silicon and the zim cards.

Also, the Zim card, unlike any fuzz face type fuzzes I've heard, has a useable drive control. You can turn it anywhere from 8:00 to 5:00 and get great tones out of it. Fuzz Face type fuzz controls pretty much need to be full on or almost full on.

Archived