Radiohead's new album : pay only what you think it's worth!

Devi Ever

• Members

I know there was already a thread about the new Radiohead album, but I'm really surprised no one really was talking about the fact you can buy the digital download on Oct 10th for nothing, or $1,000 or fifty cents.

Thoughts?

I brought it up in the other thread. That doesn't get you disc 2 though. That'll cost $80 bucks.

• Members

Its an interesting concept, there are restaurants in my town that do the same thing...pay what you think its worth. A real bohemiam economy, I like it.

If you love radiohead and want to support the band. I guess you should pay similar to what a CD costs on itunes, maybe a bit more.

• Members

i already download everything for free :wave: no biggie. i think radiohead are smart enough to realize that any human can get there record for free so by taking the nice guy approach they will make WAY more money. it will be VERY interesting to see how they do with this. only a huge band could try to do something like this IMO.

i always buy a record if its something special. the last two i actually bought were

liars - drums not dead

animal collective- feels

• Members

aahhhh....not the cd or whatever then. All the fans will buy the cd/vinyl/limited box or whatever anyway...and it will straight to the top of the album chart from all the free downloads, they'll be on tv all the time talking about why they did it. sell out a huge world tour and there you go. everyone's happy.

• Members

aahhhh....not the cd or whatever then. All the fans will buy the cd/vinyl/limited box or whatever anyway...and it will straight to the top of the album chart from all the free downloads, they'll be on tv all the time talking about why they did it. sell out a huge world tour and there you go. everyone's happy.

+1

I'm just stupid enough to pay $80 to have it on vinyl. The most I've ever paid for a piece of vinyl was about $50 - for MBVs "Feed Me With Your Kiss" E.P, so this will be a stretch for me.

• Members

Can it really be charted (assuming its going to be released through them)? Assuming again that the free downloads are being released independently. I wonder if they plan to do singles or videos.

• Members

Can it really be charted
(assuming its going to be released through them)
? Assuming again that the free downloads are being released independently. I wonder if they plan to do singles or videos.

yeah, over here downloads are included in the sales for the charts..

that's how the artic monkeys did it...

• Members

cool plan. i refuse to pay over $10 for a single cd, so I might hit the download for about $6.99, what I pay for new CDs at yourmusic.com. I'm just a casual Radiohead fan anyway, so I think they are doing themselves a great service here im making this instantly marketable to me. as already mentioned, their extremely rabid fanbase will buy up all the "complete" packages.

• Members

I don't think it's an all or nothing choice regarding the disc box and the download. For now it is, but I've read that they're looking to release just the CD sometime early next year. I assume that's when they plan to have a record deal, or start something up themselves. Regardless, I'm getting the box set just cause I'm obsessed with Radiohead and it comes with the download anyway.

• Members

what bitrate is the download going to be available in? it better be 256k plus or i'm not getting it. i'm not spending money on the box set with vinyls i have no use for either.

i hope they release the cd's or amazingly good quality mp3's. maybe the could release wavs for download?

i already download everything for free
:wave:
no biggie. i think radiohead are smart enough to realize that any human can get there record for free so by taking the nice guy approach they will make WAY more money. it will be VERY interesting to see how they do with this.

Agreed - I will be watching to see how that works out for them. :)

only a huge band could try to do something like this IMO.

Well, it certainly won't hurt that they're already an established "brand", with a pre-existing fan base. However, shareware music as a "concept" isn't exactly new - it's just never really taken off. Maybe the time is ripe for it to do so now... we'll see. :)

Archived