Please Recommend me a "Brutal" Distortion

the80sroklej

• Members

Hi all,

Ok need some pro advise here. I own a Marshall AVT150 and generally use EMG 81/85 and around 16k Seymour duncan Pups.

Im in a metal band and im not too happy with my sound. I have a Tonebone Trimode which I love but is definatly not suited for the stuff i play, has way to much mid. The only way I can get a reasonable sound is with me Boss EQ.

Im After a distortion which will give me lots of sustain and Scooped mids I guess? I was looking at the Digitech Black 13 (anthrax model), Line 6 Uber Metal and the possibility of a Sansamp but Cant really decide.

The Band "influences" I guess would be something like All that Remains, Killswitch Engage, Old Trivium.

Need room for solo mid boost as well but I guess I will use the EQ pedal for that unless I get a pedal Set out Like the Tonebone Trimode.

Please Advise, I cant afford a good amp btw, too Poor :(

• Members

I play thrash metal in the style of Slayer, Overkill, Exodus, Annihilator and the like. Im currently using the MXR DoubleShot Distortion. Its pretty brutal and it gets insane if you run an eq after it. Great pedal for metal.

I also own the Line 6 Uber Metal, Digitech Metal Master, Zoom Tri Metal and Rocktron Metal Planet. They are all good in their own way but the DoubleShot destroys them all. It just sounds huge next to these transistor type pedals.

I also would urge you to try out the Landmine Distortion. Pretty heavy tones out that one from the samples in their web site. But i have not tried one out yet.

Im extremley happy with the MXR Double Shot. Check it oout.

• Members

The "save for a better amp" suggestion is valid, but its not always the case.
I urge you to try or demo good metal amps and then try them out with good metal distortion pedals, you might be very surprised that some amps just sound way better with pedals. Its all a matter of taste.

Ive seen bands were one guitar player is going through a great amp (Mesa Rectifier in this case) and the other is playing through a Peavey Solid State head using a distortion pedal. They both had great distortion sounds, they both has tons of head room and they both cut through the mix really well. To say that one was better than the other is pointless. But its been my experience that a great expensive amp does not equal better for a great metal distortion.

• Members

That above linked pedal sounds like absolute mess. Please do not fall into that fad and buy something thats supposed to sound like absolute junk only cause somebody thinks its neat.

If you think thats the sound for you....I have a suggestion that will save you money. Bring any oscillating fan to shows and tape the guitar cabs mic to it. Turn it on and let it oscillate so that it drags the mic back and forth across the grille of your cab. That should produce a similar sounding disaster without having to spend money for it.

• Members

Thanks for all your Replies,

I checked out that Yellow Stomp Box and I listened to the sound clip and thought it was Real bad, Maybe just me but 100% not what im looking for, sounds worse than my old Boss Metal Zone by a long way

Checked out that Landmine, Seems pretty cool, al keep it one of me options.

I almost bought a MXR Double Shot a month ago but some people didnt give it great reviews so I didnt give it anymore thought.

Big Muff would be ideal for Rock n stuff from the demos they offer, Sounds pretty cool but not for metal

Dont really wana go for Boss, Always been put off since the Metalzone and Heavy Metal but I have a feeling my HM-2 was faulty as it sounded terible.

If anyone can suggest further pedals, al look into them, Not sure if Tube pedals are gona give me that Brutality, maybe im just thinking of my Tonebone Trimode : (

• Members

Dont go with the classic 'V' scoop sound, it doesnt work live or recorded and bands dont use it. I've seen killswitch lots of times and if you listen you will hear that the most hardcore sounds come from stacking soundwise from the drums upwards, frequency-wise. You want to sit higher than the bass, not compete with it which is a mistake alot of metal guitarists make. You need to provide some of the mids in the sonic sandwich that is a band. To get the sound you want, you are going to have to look at a Mesa or Krank or similar, in the meantime an eq pedal with whatever distortion you choose may benefit your sound.

• Members

I urge you to try the MXR DoubleShot again and run an eq pedal (mxr six or ten band) after it. The sounds I get from this box with the eq is just plain brutal. That pedal has so much output its scary.

I used to own the tonebone pedals and they are absolutely great, but not really for metal, more in the classic and hard rock area.

Pedals like the metal zone, uber metal, metal master, etc... all sound good, but I find that I grew really tired of that sterile digital sound really quickly. Especially cause i use EMG pickups, which brings out the digital sound even more.

The Metal Muff is good also but does not get as brutal as the DoubleShot.

• Members

I agree with Altered don't "scoop the mids". That's where the guitar cuts through the most. The bass holds down the low end, the singer and the cymbals usually take up the higher frequencies. So the obvious place to make your sound stand out in the mix is the midrange. As far as pedals go maybe a Mi Audio Tube Zone. I don't play metal so I really don't know how heavy you want to go. One thing to remember though is that your guitar is not going to sound like alot of well produced metal records live. They usually record multiple tracks to make the guitars sound really thick. If you listen thats were alot of the precieved distortion comes from. Some people think cranking a 5150 to the highest gain setting is going to make you sound like . However their huge distorted tone comes from stacking several tracks together. Not one single amp.

• Members

Yeah I agree with the scoopd factor, however i just want something which is slighty scooped compared to my current, the tonebone has so much mid. I dont wana be so scooped that I cant hear myself anymore when playing with the band, Just want a slightly heavier and slightly less mid than what i have.

(tonebone sounds real dull with set to dark/ flat)

The guitarist in me band uses the MXR dime along with the same amp as me, the pedaL is brutal and considered getting it on more than one occasion but still dont know really. He's pretty scooped though so I can always hear me :)

I tried hes old Zoom Hyper Metal at home this week and it seemed to have a nasty high freq that I couldn't seem to be able to get rid off, then again bedroom level, al blast the amp out tomorrow at practice and have a play if i get some free time.

• Members

the top channel on the doubleshot is the same distortion as the dime distortion pedal. the other distortion is more marshall like, great for hard rock and classic rock, classic metal tones. very versatile pedal.

have you considered the mesa boogie v twin. its not made anymore, but can be found on ebay. it can get pretty heavy with the help of an eq pedal. it also has a great clean channel.

Archived