Questions for Yamaha Magic Stomp users

tubetonez

• Members

I've noticed on the pedalboard thread that many folks are using a MS along with other pedals. When I use mine along with other pedals it seems to add noise/hum even when bypassed. I'm just curious how others are powering their units. I've been using it with a separate wall wart, not the original but same VAC. I noticed that it will also work with my Godlyke PS using the green Line 6 adapter, but I thought it would be too much amperage along with my other 6 pedals. I've removed it from my board for now, but would like to use it if I can eliminate the hum.

Also, on my unit the left footswitch has become ornery, won't work most of the time. I took it apart, checked the switches & springs and put it back together...it worked better for a little while but started messing up again. Anyone have a similar problem, maybe I need to replace the micro switch itself?

• Members

I don't have a problem with noise, but I use it almost at the end of the chain, and directly after a volume pedal. I also use the original adapter (don't know that it makes a difference, but that's what I do).

Thanks for the reply. Are you using this on a gigging rig, what powers the rest of your pedals? I've found that closely packed wallwarts on a pedalboard can cause noise.

• Members

It's in my gigging rig. I power my Boss TU2 from the wall, and have one of those connector things going from that to power the rest, except for the MS. If I need more pedals than I can power that way (which I usually don't), I also have batteries in them.

Some of the pedals make a little noise, and I use mostly single coils, but the volume pedal takes care of all that. Of course, the MS is after the volume pedal, so I guess that's not producing any noise anyway. It may amplify some noise from the other pedals, but I don't hear a difference. Haven't really studied the phenomenon under a microscope, because it isn't a real problem for me.

Archived