tell me about the pefftronics super randomatic

Turd Furgison

• Members

the prices are getting crazy, no one has cloned it, the originals had a bit of a reliability problem from what i understand, plus the ic's were sanded so no one knows what magic beans are in it.

yet it makes totally unique sounds that some people love and come on, a random switch with speed control :cool:

so give me some good info hcfx

• Members

I have one. Although it can make some really bizzarro sounds, I've most often used it in its "Random Double" setting to simulate a double-tracked guitar or (more often) vocal. The only trouble I've had with it is that the LED doesn't always come on when the unit is activated.

After I got mine, I saw some music shop on-line blowing them out at $49 each. I already had one, so I didn't buy any more. Sure wish I had.

• Members

Ive had 3. All broken. For random flange which is the most popular reason to own one the Digitech Turbo flange or the Line 6 Liquiflange are much cheaper and much nicer sounding. Based on reliability issues the Randomatic just isn't a good risk to take.

• Members

What sort of problems did you guys have with your Randomatics? Like I said, a LED that doesn't always come on is the only trouble I've had. But I admit that it really doesn't get all that much use and it's never had to do much traveling.

I'll have to check out the other units mentioned.

• Members

One would turn on but produced a terrible distortion and no flanging. Another would only do random mode but no switch parts were broken inside. The last one had an IC that had gone bad but couldn't be replaced because they are all sanded. All three were built differently.

• Members

My friend had one and ended up selling it because he was afraid it was going to break. I like noisy {censored} and I was never that impressed with it. I remember thinking that it just didn't sound good enough (or bad enough) to be really useful. :confused: Definitely not worth what they are going for.

• Members

What sort of differences?

Two were built with the solder side of the PCB on the bottom while the other had all the components visable when you opened it up. On two the switches were handwired and on the third there was a small PCB for the switch. All three PCBs were different.

Archived