A Question for you band members

Geno_xl

• Members

I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.

I used to play in a band and the other guitar player didn't have an amp so I let him use my back up amp. However, he never made an attempt to buy his own and sort of abused the situation. The next guy who replaced him did the exact same thing.

So how many guitar players out there either don't have their own amp or "where the nice guy" like me?

• Members

I used to play in a band and the other guitar player didn't have an amp so I let him use my back up amp. However, he never made an attempt to buy his own and sort of abused the situation. The next guy who replaced him did the exact same thing.

So how many guitar players out there either don't have their own amp or "were the nice guy" like me?

Been on both sides of that coin.

• Members

So how many guitar players out there either don't have their own amp or "where the nice guy" like me?

I recently did the exact same thing, I even found him a cheap amp for sale locally that would have done the job....it really annoyed me to be honest because he probably has more spare money than I do. mine wasn't even a back up, I used to run both amps in a stereo set up.

I even offered to sell him the amp he was using because I figured at least that way at least I would be getting something out of it....but apparently he 'didn't want a SS marshall' even though he was happy to use it for 6 months!!! :rolleyes:

• Members

Yeah, it was very frustrating to say the least.

the one guy used it for about a year or year and a half but said he didn't have money for an amp. But he had money for several expensive tattoes and for partying.

The second buy bought a motorcycle instead. Eventually he bought my amp from me but the band was already done.

• Members

yeah, that has happened to me. at this point, my guitar player is using my 4x10 marshall cab. but, in this situation i really don't care because he can't do any damage to it and i asked him if he wanted to use it. the bass player is using my old peavey bass head and a carvin 1x18 cab that is mine. same situation though. he did buy a 4x10 though.....

actually, perhaps my situation is not at all like yours......sorry.....

justin

• Members

Cables, strings, picks, all that stuff. I don't mind lending my amp to other bands if they're supporting my band. I recently got asked to lend my amp to a band that was headlining, I thought WTF and said no. If you're good enough to rock the main stage bring your own amp.

• Members
Cables, strings, picks, all that stuff. I don't mind lending my amp to other bands if they're supporting my band. I recently got asked to lend my amp to a band that was headlining, I thought WTF and said no. If you're good enough to rock the main stage bring your own amp.

hahaha, that's classic. :lol:

• Members

yeah, that has happened to me. at this point, my guitar player is using my 4x10 marshall cab. but, in this situation i really don't care because he can't do any damage to it and i asked him if he wanted to use it. the bass player is using my old peavey bass head and a carvin 1x18 cab that is mine. same situation though. he did buy a 4x10 though.....

actually, perhaps my situation is not at all like yours......sorry.....

justin

well that is how things always start. I originally was ok with the idea. but then after some of the shows he would run off and get drunk and I would end up picking up "his rig", aka my stuff that he used.

• Members
well that is how things always start. I originally was ok with the idea. but then after some of the shows he would run off and get drunk and I would end up picking up "his rig", aka my stuff that he used.

yeah, I know the feeling, the only time he borrowed the amp was at practice. as soon as we finished it was my amp again....to take home....and bring again the following week. :lol:

• Members

Oh man, have I ever been there.

My current bass player used to borrow my P-bass, for about 8 months! It was fine for a while, but I grew tired of being the gear supplier. One day I told him I want it back or he needs to buy it. Well, he realized that he needed to 'man up' and buy it. Thank god. Now he is very comfortable buying and upgrading gear. In fact he just bought the band a powered mixer! :thu:

But we still have this issue right now with our drummer. He has been borrowing some other guys drumkit for the lifespan of our band, and the kit isn't very good. And he is pretty cheap about spending money on himself. Even though we make some decent $$ for our shows, it's going to be tough to convince him to take his musical life by the ballz and buy his own GOOD kit, which he can maintain and play with confidence (another issue with this guy.)

Basically, I'm in agreement with Lanefair -- if you're going to rock the stage--own your own gear, dammit!

• Members

Lol I own almost everything we use. Guitar/bass amps, guitars/bass, Mics, Practice Space, Cords, bass/other guitar players pedals, Entire Pa System (32 channel board, 6 power amps, 3 dual band eq's, drive rack, 2 feedback destroyers, 2 sde-1000, alesis midiverb 4, cases for everything!, furman power cond, 2 compressors, 8 onstage monitors, 8 house speakers), Mic stands, Direct Boxes, Keyboards.... The only thing thats not mine is the drum set. I have a 70's ludwig kit he is going to use some for recording though. I haven't ever been in a band where someone else had anything to offer. I've always been the back bone, and to be honest its getting quite old. Tomorrow I am repoing a bunch of stuff seeing how one of my bands is finished. It's crazy that tomorrow I am going to spend a couple hours tracking these people down and taking back my equipment. I couldn't just run off with someones stuff and keep it as if it was mine.

• Members

Everyone borrows my stuff. As long as they take good care of it I don't mind, but this perpetual bumming thing has to end. I don't mind helping a friend out if they have equipment failure, but if they are making no attempt to get new stuff or seem to get too comfortable with my stuff than I take it back.

• Members
Everyone borrows my stuff. As long as they take good care of it I don't mind, but this perpetual bumming thing has to end. I don't mind helping a friend out if they have equipment failure, but if they are making no attempt to get new stuff or seem to get too comfortable with my stuff than I take it back.

+10000000000000! :thu:

• Members
if you're going to rock the stage--own your own gear, dammit!

yeah i quit a band where the other guitarist used my backup amp and my backup guitar!!!! not only that, the bassist used my bass.......:freak: but right after i quit they bought all they needed, it wasnt the most expensive {censored}, but were they just taking advantage of my good nature? and saving their dollars while my bass, my guitar and my amp got some more miles on them, !! ??!!:mad:

but yeah get your own gear guys :D

• Members

I did that when I was like 14 and didn't have a job or anything. I don't mind letting people borrow stuff if they need more power or something.

I don't think I'd be comfortable letting someone regularly gig my stuff though. I'm not uptight about things getting messed up but you're just asking for trouble doing that.

• Members
I used my guitarist's bass amp, but I tried a few times to get my own amp, was never successful though.

Just bad timing, or a matter of being thwarted at the music store?

Our drummer needs a lesson in the pleasures of buying your own music gear and having GAS like the rest of us.

I mean, this guy borrows people {censored} for so long that the rightful owner just gives up and let's him have it! It happened more than once. :mad:

Luckily it's not any of my stuff, but still.

• Members

My bass player has been using my rig and bass for a couple years now. Using the rig doesn't bug me so much, since it just stays at our rehearsal space most of the time. Him using my bass gets to be a chore sometimes, since I take it with me, so I have to transport it all the time. He has asked a few times if he can keep it overnight and the answer is a flat out no. He has his own bass, but it is always somewhere he can't get to it (mom's house, storage, hock...etc.).

• Members

He has asked a few times if he can keep it overnight and the answer is a flat out no. He has his own bass, but it is always somewhere he can't get to it (mom's house, storage, hock...etc.).

good for you. I can feel your anger building...let the hate flow through your vains. :poke:

Archived