Remember when guitar was subversive and rebellious?

veil

• Members

This is crap!

Communists still play guitars to this day!

Even Pete Seeger is still pickin. {censored}, he is as subversive as they come.

But Dylan was more subversive yet........and he still gigs.......

Can't put your finger on Dylan though........

• Members

This is crap!

Communists still play guitars to this day!

Even Pete Seeger is still pickin. {censored}, he is as subversive as they come.

But Dylan was more subversive yet........and he still gigs.......

Can't put your finger on Dylan though........

I think it's Pete and Bob that are "subversive" (though Pete has been known to display reactionary tendencies, specifically in relation to Bob), rather than their guitars.

In fact, Dylan doesn't even play guitar, live, any more.

They're not communists, though...not that subversion is necessarily a component of communism, anyway.

• Members

I was born long after guitars stopped being subversive(1986) but I guess a case could be made for the late 80's early 90's indie/alternative phenomenon, Nirvana being first on everyone's list of bands to pick from that era.

I like to try to recreate music from the days when it was subversive though. Too bad I can't play like Jeff Beck circa Beck-Ola. :(

• Members

I was born long after guitars stopped being subversive(1986) but I guess a case could be made for the late 80's early 90's indie/alternative phenomenon, Nirvana being first on everyone's list of bands to pick from that era.

I like to try to recreate music from the days when it was subversive though. Too bad I can't play like Jeff Beck circa Beck-Ola.
:(

A strong argument could be made that the "subversive" era of rock/punk was over when jocks started buying Nirvana records...if it wasn't already long over, by that point.

Truth's even better than Beck-ola, in my (and most others') opinion. He was playing great on both, but the material's stronger on Truth.

• Members

A strong argument could be made that the "subversive" era of rock/punk was over when jocks started buying Nirvana records...if it wasn't already long over, by that point.

Truth's even better than Beck-ola, in my (and most others') opinion. He was playing great on both, but the material's stronger on Truth.

Yup, I definitely agree on Truth having stronger material, but I sort of prefer Beck-Ola because it's such a hard rocking album. I love Truth and I listen to it a lot, but sometimes I just want to hear my favourite guitarists from that era doing nothing but rocking out at MAXIMUM throttle, and they all did it on a lot of songs but Jeff Beck made a whole album of it! It's such a balls to the wall rock'n'roll album, I just wish it had a blues cover like "Killing Floor" or something. I especially love the cover of "Jailhouse Rock". The band is really swinging, Ron Wood(another favourite guitarist/bassist of mine) is playing an awesome bass line, and Beck turns in one of my favourite solos of all time. I pretty much have to hear it every day or I get withdrawal. :D

On the Nirvana thing...yeah, by the time the Nirvana wave had crested, the 'subversion' factor was falling off sharply. I'm sure even as it was declining though that they turned at least a few people onto stuff like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr or Pavement. Too bad they were so slickly produced on Nevermind, that really takes away from the subversion factor IMO. It takes a lot of the edge off.

• Members

Yup, I definitely agree on Truth having stronger material, but I sort of prefer Beck-Ola because it's such a hard rocking album. I love Truth and I listen to it a lot, but sometimes I just want to hear my favourite guitarists from that era doing nothing but rocking out at MAXIMUM throttle, and they all did it on a lot of songs but Jeff Beck made a whole album of it! It's such a balls to the wall rock'n'roll album, I just wish it had a blues cover like "Killing Floor" or something. I especially love the cover of "Jailhouse Rock". The band is really swinging, Ron Wood(another favourite guitarist/bassist of mine) is playing an awesome bass line, and Beck turns in one of my favourite solos of all time. I pretty much have to hear it every day or I get withdrawal.
:D

On the Nirvana thing...yeah, by the time the Nirvana wave had crested, the 'subversion' factor was falling off sharply. I'm sure even as it was declining though that they turned at least a few people onto stuff like Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr or Pavement. Too bad they were so slickly produced on Nevermind, that really takes away from the subversion factor IMO. It takes a lot of the edge off.

Oh, no doubt. They were great. They just wound up being a mass marketed phenomenon like everything else, through no real fault of their own.

I'll have to revisit Beck-ola. Haven't listened to it for a while.

• Members

yeah, I agree with this totally....

even though we don't have jocks over here!! ...well apart from the scottish!! ;)

you only have to go to a festival over here to see it's the truth, 1991 reading festival... I bought my tickets after 90% of the line up had been announced. The only people there were freaks, hippies, indie kids, grungey kids, punks and other assorted wastiods!!

Now it sells out before anyone has been announced and there are girls in flip flops and boys in football shirts walking round.....it's not right I tell ya!! :lol:

• Members

The old concepts of counterculture are mainstream now because they sell and create markets for lots of people to make a living. To be truly subversive, we have to find a lifestyle and a voice that causes people to make uncomfortable adjustments in their standard of living or habits, or feel threatened financially.

Example: Make it trendy to walk, ride a bicycle, or use public transit for daily transportation instead of driving your F'in cars, trucks, and SUVs. Free ourselves from ridiculous traffic, more parking lots, pollution, oil spills, global warming, oil tycoons, corrupt administrations, and wars. That one seems to piss off a lot people :poke:

• Members

Guitar was subversive and rebelllious until they made guitar magazines and forums where all teh know it all gear dorks could gather and rally round to bash those with differing opinions.

Now, when you buy a guitar you support the corporate dickheads and their lackeys........bummer.

It's still subversive however. I was suspended from school and has the police called for playing guitar at school. That was 10 years ago. I'd call that {censored} subversive, wouldn't you?

• Members

Guitar was subversive and rebelllious until they made guitar magazines and forums where all teh know it all gear dorks could gather and rally round to bash those with differing opinions.

+1.

Some are so bad that if you even say you want to try a pedal a "Bro" says is a waste of money.... everyone will bash you and go as far as to claim that you "must work for Musician's Friend."

These wankers can't even take the fact that you want to try a pedal.

Like their "word" on da forums is so valuable. They can't even handle the the idea that someone would want to try something they "report" is junk.

Good for you.

• Members

+1.

Some are so bad that if you even say you want to try a pedal a "Bro" says is a waste of money.... everyone will bash you and go as far as to claim that you "must work for Musician's Friend."

These wankers can't even take the fact that you want to
try
a pedal.

Like their "word" on da forums is so valuable. They can't even handle the the idea that someone would want to try something they "report" is junk.

Good for you.

:D....agreed.

I think they have corporate plants on these forums. They call them "mods".

Some guys here got good knowledge. Other guys can only respond with "fail" and other guys get so bent if you knock anything.

Going on the wrong rant, such as a fender amps rant, could get you killed or worse. I think the fender people are stalking me now. Shhhhhhhh...............LEO! LEO!.......get these m.f'ers offa me!:wave:

Archived