Heil Talkbox - What are You Guys Doing with These?

• Members

Out of all the effects I own and have tried - this isn't one of them. I'm curious about those of you who have used one or still use one, and what you use it for.

Outside the Frampton, Joe Walsh references - are you using yours to create your own unique music or are you just doing covers by the aforementioned artists? If you are doing something unique with it (as far as you know of anyway) could you share your tips & tricks here?

I'm just curious how many of you own one and use it enough to merit keeping it. Thanks for any help or opinions. :cool:

• Members

Hey there Rev,

I've owned an original "The Bag" by Kustom since the (too bloody early) '70's. A long time ago when I backed up a vocal group, I would use it for added flavor and "added vocals" on things like "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. Just a little sting and stab that wouldn't be expected. You're only limited by your imagination with a talk-box/bag. Give a listen to the first RAMATAM LP/CD or the METAMORPHOSIS LP/CD by IRON BUTTERFLY. Both featured Mike Pinera (Blues Image) and he used his Bag for more flavor than "vocal" work. Rhino (also late Iron Butterfly) would use his Bag during live CAPTAIN BEYOND shows as part of an incredible guitar solo but I don't recall hearing it on the albums.

Besides the typical guitar-talking, you can get some really insane wah-type effects. Talk about gutteral sounds!!!

Give those 2 albums a listen and I think you'll be inspired.

• Members

that's why I got a Rocktron Banshee
it is cheaper and more user friendly
you can even put it in your pedal chain
but I don't use it that much
:cry:
you should give it a try though
it's quite a sensation to feel feedback in your mouth
:freak:

• Members
Hey there Rev,

I've owned an original "The Bag" by Kustom since the (too bloody early) '70's. A long time ago when I backed up a vocal group, I would use it for added flavor and "added vocals" on things like "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye. Just a little sting and stab that wouldn't be expected. You're only limited by your imagination with a talk-box/bag. Give a listen to the first RAMATAM LP/CD or the METAMORPHOSIS LP/CD by IRON BUTTERFLY. Both featured Mike Pinera (Blues Image) and he used his Bag for more flavor than "vocal" work. Rhino (also late Iron Butterfly) would use his Bag during live CAPTAIN BEYOND shows as part of an incredible guitar solo but I don't recall hearing it on the albums.

Besides the typical guitar-talking, you can get some really insane wah-type effects. Talk about gutteral sounds!!!

Give those 2 albums a listen and I think you'll be inspired.

Thank you - I will listen to those! You've expanded my knowledge of where these are used and those are the things I'm looking to know and understand about this one before I bother ordering one. The phrase "gutteral sounds" makes me want to go ahead and order it without knowing anything further. :cool:

Based on the (so far) very limited responses to this thread I'm starting to wonder if hardly anyone in this forum is using one. I know I recall a number of threads about these over the years and the people who have been using them for quite awhile now (or even used them for awhile and then sold them) were the ones I wanted to hear from most. Thanks guys!

• Members

i agree with rev. ive always wanted to try a talk box. didnt danelectro make one too? i heard Korn used one too. Anyone know anything on youtube?
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=talk+box

ooh stevie w!

edit!: watch this!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=By-cF0W2JLw

MAN, I WANT ONE NOW!~
you know stevie wonder uses alot of effects, should we regard him as one of our forefathers!?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4SCZv7786KY
stevie on the drums!

• Members
that's why I got a Rocktron Banshee

it is cheaper and more user friendly

you can even put it in your pedal chain

but I don't use it that much

:cry:
you should give it a try though

it's quite a sensation to feel feedback in your mouth

:freak:

I have a Rocktron Banshee too..... Neat little {censored}er... I'll be in DM sunday nite through wed afternoon Rev... I can bring it down if you want to borrow it...:poke:

• Members
I have a Rocktron Banshee too..... Neat little {censored}er... I'll be in DM sunday nite through wed afternoon Rev... I can bring it down if you want to borrow it...:poke:

I don't know where your lips have been :freak:

:D

After Bieke suggested the Banshee I read the reviews here on HC and they weren't always favorable. I can see the attraction - not only that it's $20 cheaper, but that extra amp would be a problem LIVE. I always have 2 amps and sometimes 3 (if there's room) so adding another amp could be a problem.

Not for me mind you - but for the rest of the band fitting on the stage. :D

Has anyone used BOTH and preferred one over the other?

:poke: :poke: :poke: :poke:

• Members

I've got one of the old ones, bought it used in 1980. Now I just play covers, so I use it for the typical Frampton, Joe Walsh, Aerosmith stuff we do. But, back in the 80's when I was playing original music, I created my own stuff with it. It's a lot of fun to use and always turns heads when we do "Show Me The Way".
I've never used a seperate amp to power it. I've been running it between the amp section and the speakers of my Peavey C50 212 for years. Never had a problem. I do use speaker cables, not instrument cables, to hook it up.
I say fire that thing up and have some fun!

• Members
I've got one of the old ones, bought it used in 1980. Now I just play covers, so I use it for the typical Frampton, Joe Walsh, Aerosmith stuff we do. But, back in the 80's when I was playing original music, I created my own stuff with it. It's a lot of fun to use and always turns heads when we do "Show Me The Way".

I've never used a seperate amp to power it. I've been running it between the amp section and the speakers of my Peavey C50 212 for years. Never had a problem. I
do
use speaker cables,
not
instrument cables, to hook it up.

I say fire that thing up and have some fun!

Thanks for the info! I've decided I'm going to order one just to see (and feel) for myself what the hooplah is all about. Everyone remember I had all my own teeth when I ordered this pedal :D

Archived