Keep in touch with your friends...

The*Ataris

• Members

...because they might not be around the next time you're thinking about them :(

Just found out my friend Mikaela killed herself last week. Apparently her funeral was today and hardly anyone was there because no one knew. I feel {censored}ing awful...

Poor girl was always a little crazy (took medication for a bi-polar condition), but was really sweet and always fun to do drinks with. She got into art school over the summer and moved to Georgia; I hadn't talked to her since she moved and I wish I had. In fact, I didn't get to see her before she left either. I was working 50 hours a week and really busy with my band in my free time. I knew her since we were about eleven. She would have been 23 next month, I think.

I've got a show tonight and I feel like I'm going to throw up...

• Members

Don't feel bad for me--hopefully I'll stop feeling really guilty at some point.

I'm just making a pact to be a better friend to everyone I know. I get so caught up in my own {censored} that I've lost track of a lot of people I care about and I'm not going to let that happen anymore. Whether she had problems or not, I could have called her once a week, sent her an e-mail, something--I've got that kind of time.

We grew up in such a small town and everyone is pretty close. This is going to just destroy a lot of people...

• Members

I knew her since we were about eleven. She would have been 23 next month, I think.

I've got a show tonight and I feel like I'm going to throw up...

My condolences.

I have been in a similar situation, and I can say is it is always better to cherish the memory, then to morn the loss.

As much as it hurts, play in her honor tonight. Play as if it was your last goodbye.

It may sound crazy, but I always play to those I've lost. I would like to believe they can hear me too.

• Members

My condolences as well.

Suicide seems all too common these days. I graduated high school nearly 5 years ago, but I've been losing old friends and classmates to suicide. One hung himself in a nearby forest. Another shot himself outside of town. A history teacher of mine called up the cops, told them his address and to bring a bodybag. He went outside of his apartment complex and shot himself in the head. A very good friend of mine, who also happened to be our bassist/vocalist at the time, tried hanging himself from our practice space rafters with a guitar cable. Luckily it snapped and he survived, but I slowly started finding this stuff out from him near the end of our band days. I had suicidal ex-girlfriends that I happened to come upon just in time to get them medical help from overdoses. Hell, I even had a couple suicidal fans contact me through our band website, and I had to comfort them and talk them out of it.

Just last week I heard a popular girl at one of the local high schools shot herself in her house. No one saw any signs. Another high school girl just hung herself a few months back on a hill by my apartment. I'm not sure what the rest of the country is like as far as suicides go, but this is getting out of hand, at least in my area. It really is sad that these people, even the young ones who are just starting to experience life, are quick to end it all, leaving behind devastated family and friends. Just shows you that you need to be with the people you love. Make it known that you're there for them when they need you. Cherish the moments you have, for you might never know when they will cease.

Don't feel guilty though man. There are some things that you just can't prevent. I felt horrible, like I should have done something more, when I lost my friends. I was always there for them, and we had great times together. Life takes some twisted turns but we can't always be there to make sure everything is straight. We just need to keep trudging along...not forgetting about the ones we lost, but cherishing the memories we shared and knowing they're in a better place.

Archived