EHX - Chorus/flange options

IRG

• Members

I have a Small Clone now that I like, and with a new amp I just got (Traynor YCV50) I may come to like it more. But I am looking at other options within EHX (I get a good discount from them). So I am looking at the Polychorus, the strero Clone Theory and th stereo electric mistress (new version). I would like get either the Polychorus or the Clone THeory & Electric Mistress.

How do these stack up? I am looking for a little more warmth, and more options to fiddle with. I like the idea of adding flange too, which I do not have now. Any comments one these would be helpful. Cheers.

• Members

I'm not sure about the reissue, but according to Fender&EHX4ever, the electric mistress and polychorus share the exact same flange circuit. I don't know if that applies to the small clone/clone theory as well on the originals or reissues.

that being said, all of your choices are good. That one guy with the cool avatar (i can't remember his name, i'm sorry :() said that the stereo clone theory is cool and that the vibrato was tight.

• Members

I'm not sure about the reissue, but according to Fender&EHX4ever, the electric mistress and polychorus share the exact same flange circuit.

Not the exact same, but the PolyChorus flange can approximate the original Deluxe Electric Mistress close enough that my ears can't tell the difference. I'd be curious to hear what Howard Davis has to say about how similar the circuits are.

I haven't tried the new XO versions, so I can't vouch for them. The PolyChorus is one of the most interesting multi-fx pedals in the EHX line, partly because it can go way over-the-top and do some self-oscillation and pitch-bending. A lot of fun for experimentation. I'm not sure if the XO stuff does that.

Another consideration should be a Flanger Hoax, which would complement your Small Clone nicely.

• Members

the polychorus can get sounds that are similar to the dlx electric mistress but overall they are pretty different. the DEM specializes in lush watery chorusy flange sounds. the polychorus has more knobs and the knobs have way more range, so most of the settings are out of control weird detuning sounds.

i just bought a stereo electric mistress and i love it. it doesn't do the deep warbly sound that the DEM gets but it gets really close to the mid and low depth spacey chorusy sounds that i used my old DEM for. plus it's 1/4 the size, TB, stereo, has a boss style power input, and best of all, no volume drop!

• Members

the polychorus can get sounds that are similar to the dlx electric mistress but overall they are pretty different. the DEM specializes in lush watery chorusy flange sounds. the polychorus has more knobs and the knobs have way more range, so most of the settings are out of control weird detuning sounds.

i just bought a stereo electric mistress and i love it. it doesn't do the deep warbly sound that the DEM gets but it gets really close to the mid and low depth spacey chorusy sounds that i used my old DEM for. plus it's 1/4 the size, TB, stereo, has a boss style power input, and best of all, no volume drop!

That is helpful, this is the new smaller size Electric Mistress, correct? THis sounds more like what I would want. I don't need or do really out of control detuning sounds, although it might be cool on occassion. The new stereo electric mistress seems to have settings for flange and chorus, whereas the dlx EM is not really a chorus pedal, correct?

• Members

That is helpful, this is the new smaller size Electric Mistress, correct? THis sounds more like what I would want. I don't need or do really out of control detuning sounds, although it might be cool on occassion. The new stereo electric mistress seems to have settings for flange and chorus, whereas the dlx EM is not really a chorus pedal, correct?

yeah, i'm referring to the new smaller one. the big Dlx EM is not technically a chorus but it can get very chorusy for a flanger.

here are some clips that i made of the SEM and SMMH:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=758582

• Members
Not the exact same' date=' but the PolyChorus flange can approximate the original Deluxe Electric Mistress close enough that my ears can't tell the difference. I'd be curious to hear what Howard Davis has to say about how similar the circuits are. QUOTE']

The Stereo Polychorus (flanger mode) and the Deluxe Electric Mistress flanger designs are not the same. They use different chips, for one thing. Do not expect them to always be able to duplicate each others' effects, but as both are good flangers, there is alot of overlap in their capabilities.

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:
http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

Archived