Whammy question...

Keith SIO

• Members

Hypothetical....

Do you think there could be a way to mod the whammy to randomly sequence through the left side of the setting to achieve a sort of "seek pitch" if you will?

I have been doing it with my foot and it sounds really cool, but it would be amazing if there was a way to set it to a timer and a random sequencer.

• Members

With the WH-4, just use a laptop (or hardware) midi sequencer to generate random CC values and send it to the whammy's MIDI in.

Edit: and if it's not the WH-4, mod it for an expression pedal, and use some kind of synth controller (like the Moog control processor) that has a sample and hold feature, plugged in to the exp pedal jack--that will get you the random staccato that you seek.

• Members

With the WH-4, just use a laptop (or hardware) midi sequencer to generate random CC values and send it to the whammy's MIDI in.

Edit: and if it's not the WH-4, mod it for an expression pedal, and use some kind of synth controller (like the Moog control processor) that has a sample and hold feature, plugged in to the exp pedal jack--that will get you the random staccato that you seek.

So midi control could do this on its own?

• Members

what cdawzrd said, I was able to make a very simple max/msp patch to randomly change settings via midi (even in time with a specified tempo), there is however a limit to how fast you can change settings. At fast speeds it will go nuts for you for about a second, then take a half second break and go nuts again for another second repeating.

Im thinking of buying a second whammy so I can get the max/msp patch to dynamically switch between pedals so there is no perceived break in the randomness :)

• Members

This is not quite the same, but it might work for you.

The last two generations of the Digitech RP series, and the GNX series include a Whammy function that sounds as good as the WH-4. They also have two assignable LFOs. You can assign one LFO to the interval, and set it to a sine or triangle wave. Then assign the other to the pedal sweep, and set it to a square wave.

As I was typing this I wanted to hear what it sounded like. So I recorded a little clip. It's not much for tonality, but maybe that's not what you're after.

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/RandWam.mp3

• Members

This is not quite the same, but it might work for you.

The last two generations of the Digitech RP series, and the GNX series include a Whammy function that sounds as good as the WH-4. They also have two assignable LFOs. You can assign one LFO to the interval, and set it to a sine or triangle wave. Then assign the other to the pedal sweep, and set it to a square wave.

As I was typing this I wanted to hear what it sounded like. So I recorded a little clip. It's not much for tonality, but maybe that's not what you're after.

God that is so awesome. Love it.

Archived