Help me with my effects

cg_25

• Members

Ok, so I've never really dug deep into the world of effects, and there really is a vast world out there. Basically what I'm trying to find out is what's best for me. I've never really owned any massive amounts of effects and I was hoping you guys could help me shape my tone. Right now I own a Boss me-50. I hear that the me-50 is a real tone-sucker and that it's not really good for anything. I also wish that my me-50 had more options, it really doesn't have any EQ and you don't have to much dynamic control of the variables of the effects. I tend to favour a lighter crunch/marshall-like distortion. I'm not in to metal or anything heavy. I fear switching to any other multi-effects boards. I hear that Line 6 PODS for example are very confusing to work. And for me the me-50 has all up-front analog controls. With the me-50 you don't have to scroll through digital controls at all.

What's the most sutable way to go? Multi-effects, stomp-boxes or racks.

Basically I want your advice on making up my arsenal of effects, I don't know what to use!

• Members

Well having a multi-effect is a good thing in your situation - I suppose the best thing would be to find out which effects you actually use or are interested in and start considering single effect options in each field. As these will most likely give you more flexibility and better sound.

What guitar(s)/amp(s) are you using?

• Members

You're only going to get one answer here: all analog, all the time, except maybe for delay, in which case you need analog AND digital :D

Racks are a little more flexible. Rack gear is effects forum friendly, but only if it's super cool stuff. Bonus points for re-housing stompboxes into rack form.

My advice is to pick out just 2 or 3 different types of effects you want at first and find good quality, analog stompers that fit the bill. Keeping it simple is definitely the way to go if you don't have encyclopedic knowledge or deep pockets.

That being said, what types of effects do you like to use? Delay, overdrive, fuzz, chorarlflagephasevibe-atron, wah? Odds are, if you can narrow it down to just one or two of these at first, people here can point you toward some very good sounding pedals that won't break the bank.

• Members

You just have to know which pedals are what types. Saying "analog is better" is obviously a big generalization, but for most effect types is holds true. Judge with your ears! If you like the sound of something, then it's what you want. Best bet is to go somewhere that has a good assortment of pedals available for you to try. Read around this forum too, there's a lot of good information here.

• Members

well, if you want a lot of good sounding effects, variety and fairly easy to use all in one package, I reccomend the Vox tonelab. Easy to work with, has a tube in the path, and most of the sounds are great.

Stompboxes are more versital and there is an unmeasurable amount of choices for each effect. If you are using only a few effects, this is the way to go.

WHen first starting out in the world of effects, I'd stay away from rack gear for a while.

Archived