Cheap Compressor showdown : Behringer CS100 vs. Dano Surf n' Turf

DylanWilde

• Members

So I want to pick up a cheap compressor just to see if I like the effect and to get a general idea of how to use it if it ends up being something I want to stick with. I figure these pedals, which I can find for $20-30 new and even cheaper used, are a decent start. Between the two, I would like it to be more towards the transparent and quiet side since I use a slightly overdriven tube amp as my basic sound and I layer overdrive and fuzz on top of it when the moment calls for it.

I know there are many other cheap compressors out there, among them some vintage sleepers such as the DOD FX80-B, but I would like recommendations as to specifically what the differences between the Behringer and the Dano are, from the people who have used them, and whether they would work well just as initial forays into the wild and wacky world of guitar compression.

• Members

If I were you, I really wouldn't be looking at a compressor pedal, anyways. Any kind of distortion, no matter how light, is going to compress your guitar's signal. That's just the nature of distortion, and that's why dirty amps will generally sustain more than clean ones. Plus, any kind of compressor you get will amplify hissing in your rig, again, just because of the nature of the beast. Kinda lame, and not a very good explanation, but it's functional and true.

But if you're really set on getting a compressor, I would recommend saving an extra forty bones and buying a MXR dyna-comp. I have one, and I love it. Plus, it's a classic, so you know it has some staying power so if you like it, you can still use it years down the road.

• Members

Bump.

The MXR seems like a classic, yes. But I have heard that the Behringer is less noisy and more transparent, plus it has an attack control.

I would leave it on all the time, and since it is so cheap, I could also buy a loop-master pedalboard patchbay, which would prevent the cheap jacks from getting affected by plugging/unplugging my guitar.

• Members

+1 on the Milkbox! I got mine for $16.00 used. I didn't use it much until recently. I put it first in the chain and now I use it a lot. It does add some noise when I use it with my dirt, but I can live with it for the extra sustain on leads.

• Members

I've owned a number of compressor pedals (Boss, MXR Super Comp, Route 66) and I haven't been happy with any of them - other than the $225 boutique comp pedal I bought that sounded great but picked up radio stations. Anyway, I figured for $19 I'd give the Behringer CS100 a try. Surprisingly, I like it better than the others I've had (except the expensive one). It's acutally quite good for mild compression. It's not the sturdiest pedal, but should be ok if you don't mistreat it.

Archived