Best distortion/overdrive pedal?

shuffletuffle

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was playing around with a Fulltone OCD last night, and let me tell you, that thing was amazing. Cleaned up great, and sounded very modern. I was running it through the clean channel on a Traynor YCV50 Blue amp, extremely rock n' roll tone.

I would recommend that, as I am currently gassing hard for one.
:D

• Members

What's the exact name?

----------------------------------------

I have a Boss MetalZone (Keeley modded), and a Keeley modded DS-1, and as mentioned the Keeley modded BD.

Still, none of these fits my dream of the perfect sound. I have used all these boxes on a clean amp sound.

• Members

Ok, But is it a pedal you can shred with?

And I have a keeley modded bluesdriver, is the Fulltone OCD more distorted than the Keeley BD?

Very much so. It's a very harmonically rich distortion pedal, you can shred all day and night with the thing.

Much more gain than a Bluesdriver. There is a LF and HF switch on the pedal itself which is kind of like an extra gainstage. I only used it for about a few hours, so I am no expert.. but I loved the tone!!

• Members

Yeah! But it would be easier with a good pedal. But if it sounds better with amp distortion with a boost, I would try that.

I have a peavey classic 50 which is not a hard rock amp..

If the C50 sounds anything like the C30, try an EQ (Fish and Chips) in front of the amp. I used to do that when I had my Classic 30. Boost the mids, and level up a bit, and I had a real decent TOOL heavy crunch sound.

• Members

Try slamming the amp with a Super Chili PIcasso or Super Hard On...That is if you want boost/drive without coloring the tone much - if you need to color the tone look at the other options here.....SCP into tube amp just drives it into a much harder but cleaner/articulate distortion....

• Members

I'd go with something like a Crunch Box to get a medium amount of gain for rhythm stuff, and then a ts-style boost for shredding. A Box-of-Rock might be an all-in-one solution as it gives a great marshall-esque medium gain sound, and it has a boost built in that would be great for solos/shredding. I wouldn't think there's a better pedal out there for a darkness-style tone in a pedal.

Archived