sought after OD vs. cheap practice amp preamp (soundclip)

Mxr20

• Members

the first one is probably the amp and the second one is probably an od. the first sounds better. the second sounds really middy and compressed. i don't see how comparing two solid state devices comes anywhere close to proving that toobs are automatically better than solid state. additionally, no direct comparison of this nature would make me want to make that kind of categorical judgement of toobs vs od.

• Members

the first one is probably the amp and the second one is probably an od. the first sounds better. the second sounds really middy and compressed. i don't see how comparing two solid state devices comes anywhere close to proving that toobs are automatically better than solid state. additionally, no direct comparison of this nature would make me want to make that kind of categorical judgement of toobs vs od.

who knows what I'm trying to prove, if anything

• Members

There is no mention of tube devices anywhere... what are you talking about?

• Members

i gotta admit the second one sounded better, but that's probably the eq'ing was better on it. the first one could be eq'd to my liking. both sound decent

I tried my best to make each have the same eqing

• Members
I liked both. Nice playing too. For that song, I think I liked the 2nd better by a bit. Little more crunch to it, not as full range. Gotta' go learn Brown Sugar now. . .

and soon the secret will be revealed :o

• Members

First was much more compressed, fizzier. It's the obvious choice for the amp, but my guess is you're probably trying to prove a point so that's the sucker's bet. It's an unfair comparison IMO because the gain levels aren't comparable.

And your avatar gets my vote for creepiest.

• Members

First was much more compressed, fizzier. It's the obvious choice for the amp, but my guess is you're probably trying to prove a point so that's the sucker's bet. It's an unfair comparison IMO because the gain levels aren't comparable.

And your avatar gets my vote for creepiest.

the gain levels are comparable

I did my best to match gains, but there are differences in response

and its not a suckers bet because I know a careful listener will be able to pick up any unfair tricks. I did my best to provide a good comparison.

Archived