angular movements using extension chords

Walters9515

• Members

1.) When i use the 6ths,7ths,9th,11th,13ths chords when i connect them, they sound "" ANGULAR" movements ,what am i doing wrong?

a.) Use chord inversions to try to connect them more "step wise" together

b.) How else can u "Avoid" making the 6th,7th,9th,11th,13th unresolved or angular?

2.) When composing melodies how can u "avoid" having a melody be Angular?

3.) Most of my problems is trying or knowing where to put the 6th,7th,9th,11th,13th notes at because they sound very "Angular" why is that and what am i doing so wrong

4.) My Modulations to different keys sound very "angular" why is that? what am i doing so wrong?

• Members

One area is positng a theory question in a signal processing forum

As a multi-board.."character" I guess would be the right word

you have, maybe, reached saturation on topical forums

since the act is sort of one dimensional (that's probably what required shifting around to so many forums) -- updating the act isn't an option.

so kind of like "extension of cadence" -- you are looking to make the material play "fresh" by posting topics in non-topic forums

• Members

Have you tried using them in several different progressions or just a few? When you get into extended chords you have to play them in the right context for them to really sound good. For instance you could use the extended notes to create a harmony line that will lead down (or up) and resolve nicely on the last chord of the progression. Simply throwing a complicated chord into a progression won't always yeild good results. Alot of times you can play a Diminished chord or something like that by itself and it sounds dissonant. However when you use it in the right context it will really liven up an overwise boring progession. Also another trick is cutting out some notes that aren't so important. Like the root which the bassist covers, or the 5th. Sometimes if you eliminate those then a chord won't sound quite so "angular" as you put it. I am not an expert on this by any means. So take what I am saying with a grain of salt, but theres PLENTY of acurate guides on the internet that will walk you through the process of writing some jazzy chord changes. So just search for it and read several till you find one you like, but don't expect it to be easy or for there to be one simple answer for writing this kind of stuff. It takes a lifetime to master chord melody the way Pass did.

• Members
OK, now you're just being a jackass. TheHarakiriEnd made a worthwhile, thoughtful post and you just throw out more crap. Piss off.

'TheHarakiriEnd' don't even bother wasting your time on this.

p.s. I did laugh when you said "i'm no expert on this" because you were doing a pretty good job of sounding like one if you ask me!!! :lol:

• Members
OK, now you're just being a jackass. TheHarakiriEnd made a worthwhile, thoughtful post and you just throw out more crap. Piss off.

Yep, thats walters. There is NO REAL answer to any of his moronic nonsenseical crap.

If you answer, you only invite more questions that are even dumber than the first.

Ad nauseum.

ONCE AGAIN.... Walters=PWNED!!!:rolleyes:

Archived