NPD: mysterious eBay boost

nbabmf

• Members

As posted in another thread ( http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766260 ), I won a boost/overdrive/whatever pedal off eBay and I had no idea what I was in for. It came today...

I'd always wondered if I could just wrap a box in paper and ship it. I guess I can! I have a strange fascination with cardboard boxes. I bring the foil-lined ones home from work sometimes. Maybe I'll ship to a forumite in one next time I sell/trade something.

2082242336930269000dx9.jpg

LOL... it's a box for a miniature collectible house. Now I am not sure why I paid $10 for shipping when actual cost was $3.75. Maybe the white paper is actually NOS and lends a warmer vintage tone?

2083235206930242750ld2.jpg

It's red. It smells like paint. It has a Tone knob from a Strat. Nice. Cosmetically, it's clean and simple, with a touch of unique. I like that.

2083238996930256610bn5.jpg

And here are the guts. It's actually pretty cleanly wired despite looking chaotic. I wonder if that's any indication of the tone...

2083248216930290520vh2.jpg

Yep, it's loud. Unity gain appears to be around 4.5 or 5 on the "Tone" knob, but there's a definite coloration. There's no crackle when you turn the knob, so it's not an SHO clone haha. When I turn it up louder (Tone-er? :)), it gets a lot of hair and a touch of that fuzzy warble. I like!

So, I can see a 2N3904 transistor in there along with a couple diodes and resistors. It's on a perfboard, so there's no markings like there would be on a BYOC or GGG PCB. Any ideas what this might be based on?

Archived