Trim pots covered with blobs of glue / Trims in Trems?

gambit

• Members

i was just going through several pedals opening them up to see what can be tweaked.. nothing, nothing.. ooohh! my Dunlop TS-1 trem/pan has 4 trim pots.

but they are covered with blobs of clear glue. :(

do you think that's just the manufacturers way of keeping them from going out of position, or are they really not meant to be moved?

which leads to - what are these trim pots likely to change the parameter of? trem speed/depth/waveform.. and what else?

• Members

It means they are important settings that aren't meant to be changed because they set the trem for optimum performance. Boutique builders putting adjustable trims inside pedals has sort of been a bad thing because people dont understand that 90% of trim pots are biases for ICs or important adjustments that make the effect not work if you move them. If it isn't mentioned as an adjustable trim in the manual dont adjust it. If its covered with glue that should be a really clear indication that you shouldn't touch it. It would be foolish to actually pull off the glue and move the trims. Sort of like pushing a do not push button.

• Members

why?

they've started winking at me!
:eek:
do you think Dunlop would reply to an email asking what the trims do?.. i'll try this before i consider levering bits of glue off the pots..

I think there is a high chance they will reply with....

"Do not adjust these pots they have been tuned to the optimum levels at the factory to enable the pedal to sound its best."

• Members

...sort of like pushing a do not push button.

Of course, if a button says "do not push" you know you just have to push it... :D

I'd definitely not mess with the trimpots, unless something was wrong with the pedal and I knew exactly what each one did. As has already been mentioned, they are usually for biasing or purposes, and moving them will most likely only cause the pedal to stop working. Getting the bias set right again can be a real PITA - especially if they control several stages that depend on all of them being set just so.

/Andreas

• Members

the official response from Jim Dunlop:

"Unfortunately I cannot disclose any information regarding the trim pots.

Best of luck"

cannot or will not? useless response..

i'll leave them be for now. one day though.. one day..

• Members

the official response from Jim Dunlop:

"Unfortunately I cannot disclose any information regarding the trim pots.

Best of luck"

cannot or will not? useless response..

i'll leave them be for now. one day though.. one day..

hahahahahaha!!!! what a crap reply, maybe they thought you were trying to clone it or something?

Archived