buffers?

SG dan

• Members

I see alot of people talking about buffered bypass, and true bypass and what not. I know about true bypass and i have a vague idea of what a buffered bypass is, but then why o people say for example "dont put a buffered bypass infront of a fuzz pedal" and stuff like that. so, Whats the deal?

• Members
I see alot of people talking about buffered bypass, and true bypass and what not. I know about true bypass and i have a vague idea of what a buffered bypass is, but then why o people say for example "dont put a buffered bypass infront of a fuzz pedal" and stuff like that. so, Whats the deal?

tone.....some pedals sound better after a buffered pedal, some pedals don't, some pedals have good buffers, some have bad buffers, some have no buffer, some have true bypass, some have buffered bypass, some have other types of bypass. :thu:

• Members

so theres no formula to it? just trail and error then?

basically....yeah!!

I found out my double muff messes up my wah if it's after it, I don't know why and I don't really care, I just know it makes my wah sound {censored}!!!

• Members
True. A fuzz face wants to see a high impedence signal.

Physics don't care about opinions, it turns out.
:D

+1, and another example of a pedal that's fickle with buffers is the Tonebender, and also the old E 13 DarkBoost. As a general rule, true bypass is preferrable, but if you're running a lot of pedals on your board, or if yo have long cable runs, a good quality buffer can be desirable.

c

• Members

so theres no formula to it? just trail and error then?

yes and no, but mostly no.

some pedals like the fuzz face was designed long before people had lots of other pedals, or active pickups.

The fuzz face is designed around an aproximation of the impedance of a guitar pick up. think of impedance as pressure... only the numbers work backwards. 0 is infintie pressure, and 10000000 is a lot less.

fuzz face type designs asume the input signal will have an impdance of roughly 5k to maybe 15k or so. A buffer basically adds pressure and can have impedances as low as 100 ohms, which throws off the current bias of the fuzz face circuit.

now someone is probably going to jump in and say pressure is more like voltage than current, but i'm trying to put this in simple terms.

wiith most modern pedals impedance isnt going to matter much, but you will of course have all the other issues that go along with their respective advantages and disadvantages.... but they wont be as obvious as running a boss pedal in front of fuzz face.

Archived