EHX Double Muff And Big Muff...Overkill?

Noise...

• Members

I want both the Double Muff and the Big Muff...but is getting both overkill?

Will either of them get the same tones as the other? I know the Double Muff starts as a slightly fuzzy OD and gets to be a fuzzy, slightly heavy OD.

Will the standard Big Muff be able to get some of the lighter OD sounds with lower gain settings and my guitar's volume knob?

If getting both ISN'T overkill...which do I buy first? I need an OD and a Fuzz badly, but I can only get one for now (and maybe the second one closer to the holidays...)

Anyone have some input on this?

• Members

Will either of them get the same tones as the other? I know the Double Muff starts as a slightly fuzzy OD and gets to be a fuzzy, slightly heavy OD.

Will the standard Big Muff be able to get some of the lighter OD sounds with lower gain settings and my guitar's volume knob?

If getting both ISN'T overkill...which do I buy first? I need an OD and a Fuzz badly, but I can only get one for now (and maybe the second one closer to the holidays...)

The Big Muff Pi and the Double Muff are very different fuzzes. You can check them both out on video: http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Default.asp?q=f&f=%2FCatalog%2F01_New_Products%2F01_EH_DVD, or watch them on YouTube. Melx has both, so you should ask him what he thinks about the difference between the two. The Double Muff can get something closer to an OD, but neither of them will get you a really good subtle OD. Their strength is fuzz.

If you are looking for an EHX OD, the new Germanium OD sounds pretty killer. I've never tried the new Hot Tubes or the English Muff'n, but I'm sure both can get a nice OD and distortion.

• Members

hi mate, no it definatly isn't overkill (unless you play country music or something!)

no, they won't get the same tones as each other,
the DM has none of that bass boost/mid scoop thing going on like the BM does. The DM isn't smooth like a big muff either, it'a a much more 'gritty' sounding pedal. The big muff sound is great, but it doesn't do low drive sounds! I'm pretty sure mine doesn't clean up at all. so they are very different pedals (i'm glad EHX didn't call that germainium OD 'germainium muff' or it would just add even more confusion!!)

which to get first? It depends on what you use most I guess.
do you want:
vintage grit fuzz or smooth sustaining filth fuzz? :D

until you get both anyway, it kinda gets down to that choice.

I got a Big Muff first, because I wanted to get that classic bass heavy muff tone, then I got the Double muff just for fun really because it was pretty cheap and ended up really liking it as an alternative!

yeah, that video clip of the DM is pretty spot on....but my BM doesn't sound as filthy as the one on the demo, I guess it's because I've been running mine into a totally clean amp with lowish output pups.

• Members
hi mate, no it definatly isn't overkill (unless you play country music or something!)

no, they won't get the same tones as each other,

the DM has none of that bass boost/mid scoop thing going on like the BM does. The DM isn't smooth like a big muff either, it'a a much more 'gritty' sounding pedal. The big muff sound is great, but it doesn't do low drive sounds! I'm pretty sure mine doesn't clean up at all. so they are very different pedals (i'm glad EHX didn't call that germainium OD 'germainium muff' or it would just add even more confusion!!)

which to get first? It depends on what you use most I guess.

do you want:

vintage grit fuzz or smooth sustaining filth fuzz?
:D

until you get both anyway, it kinda gets down to that choice.

I got a Big Muff first, because I wanted to get that classic bass heavy muff tone, then I got the Double muff just for fun really because it was pretty cheap and ended up really liking it as an alternative!

yeah, that video clip of the DM is pretty spot on....but my BM doesn't sound as filthy as the one on the demo, I guess it's because I've been running mine into a totally clean amp with lowish output pups.

Yeah - no country here. :D Mainly a lot of Ambient/Experimental stuff.

Is the Big Muff still insanely dirty with the gain set to the minimum? Is it at all responsive to the guitar's volume control?

• Members
Is the Big Muff still insanely dirty with the gain set to the minimum? Is it at all responsive to the guitar's volume control?

Yes, it's pretty dirty. It's a classic effect, but I wouldn't call it a versatile effect, even with the guitar's volume control cut.

The whole "what's a good OD pedal" discussion is the most common question on HCFX. Everyone is looking for the Holy Grail of ODs. There are no easy answers. If it was as easy as turning down the Big Muff, there would be a lot of frustrated Klon owners :lol:

• Members
Yes, it's pretty dirty. It's a classic effect, but I wouldn't call it a versatile effect, even with the guitar's volume control cut.

The whole "what's a good OD pedal" discussion is the most common question on HCFX. Everyone is looking for the Holy Grail of ODs. There are no easy answers. If it was as easy as turning down the Big Muff, there would be a lot of frustrated Klon owners
:lol:

That's the thing though - I'm not looking for an overdrive in the traditional sense. I want a fuzzy OD. I've tried traditional OD's and they aren't really for me. I love fuzz sounds, but I don't always like them to be really insane (like I know the BM can get). I've tried Big Muffs before and always really, really liked them (Why I haven't just bought one yet, I don't know. :freak: )

• Members

That's the thing though - I'm not looking for an overdrive in the traditional sense. I want a fuzzy OD. I've tried traditional OD's and they aren't really for me. I love fuzz sounds, but I don't always like them to be really insane (like I know the BM can get). I've tried Big Muffs before and always really, really liked them (Why I haven't just bought one yet, I don't know.
:freak:
)

Check out the BuzzFox site (I adore this site! :love: They get an A+++ from me for inventiveness.) http://buzzfox.com/electro-harmonix.html

Compare the Hot Tubes, the Big Muff, and the Tube Zipper.

• Members

That's the thing though - I'm not looking for an overdrive in the traditional sense. I want a fuzzy OD. I've tried traditional OD's and they aren't really for me. I love fuzz sounds, but I don't always like them to be really insane (like I know the BM can get). I've tried Big Muffs before and always really, really liked them (Why I haven't just bought one yet, I don't know.
)

I think you would like the double muff, nothing like a trad OD, I think that's why a lot of people don't like it. both knobs on full in double mode is fuzz mayhem. :)

• Members
I'm just going to order both of them tomorrow. I thought about it, and really one or the other will still leave me wanting the one I don't get.

So, the only option is to just buy both.
:D

sounds like a plan to me!! :thu:

• Members

I know a guy who gigs with both (and only those two pedals), works well for him and sounds great.

I have both, and i LOVE both, but for very diff. reasons.

Funny thing is, i never stacked them before :rolleyes: - will try it later tonight :thu:

I am sure they will sound good if you are going for that Fu Manchu type Fuzz-Rock that we all love :evil::love::evil: . . .

• Members

)

Then i recommend the Double Muff 1st, as it is a nice fuzzy OD in single mode, and can get pretty Fuzzed-Up in Double Mode - i LOVE MINE !!!

Here is MY NEXT purchace . . .

http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=xjbK0gAA1192535170&command=link--keff

Kinda like a DoubleMuff - just very differant :freak:

Hope this helps !

;)

• Members
I have both, and i LOVE both, but for very diff. reasons.

Funny thing is, i never stacked them before
:rolleyes:
- will try it later tonight
:thu:

I am sure they will sound good if you are going for that Fu Manchu type Fuzz-Rock that we all love
:evil::love::evil:
. . .

it sounds great use the double muff to kick the Big Muff up the arse. :thu:

• Members

That sounds good, but I think putting the DM after the BM sounds better IMO

Does the DM still have issues when it's put after a true-bypass pedal?

I read in a few reviews on it that it gets really trebley and thin when placed after other pedals. Is that just with buffered pedals? Does the same thing still apply with true-bypass pedals?

• Members

I read in a few reviews on it that it gets really trebley and thin when placed after other pedals. Is that just with buffered pedals? Does the same thing still apply with true-bypass pedals?

mmm....i'm not sure, last time I had a buffered pedal in front of it....it seemed fine from what I remember.

• Members
mmm....i'm not sure, last time I had a buffered pedal in front of it....it seemed fine from what I remember.

Ah. Good then. I was a bit worried that I'd *only* be able to have it at the front of my chain no matter what.

Even if that is the case though, it doesn't matter much. It will end up being the first pedal for a long while anyway. My effect chain will be:

Double-Muff>Big Muff>DE7>Flanger Hoax

That should keep me effect-happy for a while. :D

Now it just comes down to waiting for them to get here. :cry:

• Members

well, that's what I liked about it...I could set the BM up as a real big beefy fuzz, and could get a bit rougher, but not as thick sounding fuzz with the DM on (almost fuzz face'ish). But it didn't sound too thin or trebly to me.

Archived