Anyone have a VW GTI?

olejason

• Members

I'm looking around at new cars. I definitely want something with decent power but I'd like to get something with decent emissions as well. How do you like the VW? I've heard that service for VW's is very expensive, is that true? I'm also looking at the new WRX's but the gas mileage leaves a little to be desired... although it does have 224hp :D

I was really wanting a scion XB until they changed the body style... it looks like an aborted american suv now.

Any other suggestions for me? I don't really care if it's 2/4 door or hatchback although I'd like to have something that I can fit a 4x12 in if I have to. I should have no problem with a gti and the backseats laid down.

• Members

VW GTI's are really nice. Only thing is they are a little pricey (to service as well) and they have had a history of spotty reliability. But read any review, and the GTI is a great mix of hot hatch and daily driver. I have a 2000 VW Golf right now and have been eying the new GTI's for a while.

As someone else said, the Mazda3 is a really solid car and has gotten some great reviews. It's more like a station wagon than your average hatchback. And there is a "Speed" variant which is pretty sweet and fast, but then that starts to gets pricey as well. But if you are looking at WRX's, I guess there is no reason why the two aforementioned cars would be out of your price range. My girlfriend and I are actually buying a Mazda3 sedan this weekend.

• Members

What's the deal with the paddle shifting? I saw it listed with the automatic transmission but I don't really understand what it is or what it does

I'm gonna check out the mazda 3... my dad had mentioned that one to me and I totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

• Members
What's the deal with the paddle shifting? I saw it listed with the automatic transmission but I don't really understand what it is or what it does

I'm gonna check out the mazda 3... my dad had mentioned that one to me and I totally forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

The paddle shifting is actually their DSG transmission. It can run fully automatic or you can shift with the paddles (like a race car). The transmission from VW/Audi is really bad ass. It's actually faster than the manual. My girlfriend doesn't drive stick either, so as much as I love driving stick, I think this would be a compromise I could more than live with :thu:.

• Members

Bah... it would appear the speed 3 isn't available with an auto transmission? What's up with that? I enjoy a manual as much as the next guy but it's kind of unpractical where I live plus the girlfriend can't drive stick. Boo

tell her to man up, hydraulic clutches are smooth as a baby's ass. easy to learn on, and fun as heck. you'll thank me later...there's no greater shame than ruining a perfectly good car with an auto tranny.

• Members

I am all about VWs!

88 GLI

92 Corrado SLC

95 GTi VR6

02 Gti 1.8T

Give one a drive and you might dig it.

I let 2 people drive mine and one bought one and the other is now looking.

same here, i'm trying to sell my '89 carat. it's funny 'cos i replaced it as a daily with a '72 super.

• Members

I might only be 14, but it doesn't mean i don't drive yet. My dad tests cars and we had the 2.0 turbo with DSG for a week. Great little car that's lots of fun to drive. Has the fastest shifting tranny in the world and doesn't even drive like its front wheel drive, in fact it's one of the best handling cars in the world for under 30K. Got a lot of power too. My dad got 0-60 in 6 flat. Couldn't try out the guitar jack in it (the Slash commercial) because some idiot broke it before us.

For the money you can't go wrong with, lots of room in the back too for carrying big rigs and great gas mileage.

Go for the 2.0 turbo with DSG and you won't regret it.

• Members

I might only be 14, but it doesn't mean i don't drive yet. My dad tests cars and we had the 2.0 turbo with DSG for a week. Great little car that's lots of fun to drive. Has the fastest shifting tranny in the world and doesn't even drive like its front wheel drive, in fact it's one of the best handling cars in the world for under 30K. Got a lot of power too. My dad got 0-60 in 6 flat. Couldn't try out the guitar jack in it (the Slash commercial) because some idiot broke it before us.

For the money you can't go wrong with, lots of room in the back too for carrying big rigs and great gas mileage.

Go for the 2.0 turbo with DSG and you won't regret it.

wow, i just realized that even the Ferrari F1 superfast gearbox is 92 milliseconds slower than the DSG. I didn't realize that the DSG was THAT fast. 8ms. Wow.

• Members
A Peugeot (French!) that's more reliable than a VW (German)?
:lol:

The US VW's, at least the MKV platform (Jetta and Golf), as well as the New Beetle, are made in South America. I own a 2001 GTI, and it's fun. 102k miles on it and it's been chipped (upgrade HP from 150 to 197 and torque to somewhere beyond 250ft lbs) since 5k miles, and still going strong. A couple of things:

1. The dealer service network sucks. This is the single biggest complaint of VW owners, followed closely by...
2. Be prepared for electrical problems or some other weird reliability issue. Mine was power window regulators until they finally recalled the plastic pieces and replaced them with metal ones that didn't break. Then at 80k miles a control module that controls the windows and alarm died due to a short. Replacement part cost was $350, and then another $150 to have the dealer program the module to the ECU, because it's vehicle specific.
3. You will be replacing timing belts around 60k miles on the 2.0T engine if it's anything like the 1.8T. They're both supposed to be rock solid engines, but belts instead of chains is a huge flaw that is a pain in the butt. I did mine myself, and have another coming up in about a year, and it was a nightmare.

The upsides:
1. Big user community at www.vwvortex.com
2. Lots of aftermarket parts and go fast add-ons.
3. A great ride. Sporty, but comfortable.
4. Decent gas mileage for the performance. I get ~30MPG on 93 octane in my chipped 1.8T, though I'm mostly doing highway driving (at 70+ MPH usually).

Archived