choosing a distortion pedal is crazy...

voxfreak

• Members

I keep bouncing around between pedals i think i shud get. Can someone help me out? I have a VOX AC30CC head/cab version and want to get like a "back in black" distortion. I was originally going for a ts808 then a vox bulldog distortion, then a box or rock, and lately a plextortion. Any insight would be very appreciated.

• Members

I keep bouncing around between pedals i think i shud get. Can someone help me out? I have a VOX AC30CC head/cab version and want to get like a "back in black" distortion. I was originally going for a ts808 then a vox bulldog distortion, then a box or rock, and lately a plextortion. Any insight would be very appreciated.

Angus plugs direct into a Marshall, so the EHX English Muff'n might cut it if you must use a pedal.

• Members

Angus plugs direct into a Marshall, so the EHX English Muff'n might cut it if you must use a pedal.

thats another pedal ive been looking at. sigh...too many damn distortion pedals! i also want some versatility tho too not just like angus but a lot of nice distortions inbetween there too

• Members

I've had the same problem finding a distorion pedal to suit my needs. I finally settled on a crunch box to deliver my marshall-esque tones. it hasn't arrived yet, but what I've read on it sounds perfect to me. Maybe you should check it out too.

• Members

I've had the same problem finding a distorion pedal to suit my needs. I finally settled on a crunch box to deliver my marshall-esque tones. it hasn't arrived yet, but what I've read on it sounds perfect to me. Maybe you should check it out too.

You won't be disappointed.

• Members

One disadvantage to the Twin Tube Classic is that Seymour Duncan recommends that the tubes be replaced by a qualified technician. The English Muff'n is plug and play. Also, the Philips-Sylvania 6021 tubes are not ubiquitous as EHX 12ax7s or 12ay7s. Not sure if you'll ever have to replace the tubes, but it's worth a consideration.

• Members

I heard the big problem with this pedal was that it doesn't sound good with some amps, and specifically Vox amps.

probaly bc its so damn bright and warm. Which i love, but it's not so great when u want to get dirty. I've heard the same thing myself which is why i got turned off by it

• Members

I haven't played the amp, but just saw the video, and the amp itself should be able to do as well as any pedal mentioned going through it. If the preamp is too gritty, try a studio quality compressor (or at least a bright one) to clean it up while holding it longer at the magic point of growl.

• Members

I haven't played the amp, but just saw the video, and the amp itself should be able to do as well as any pedal mentioned going through it. If the preamp is too gritty, try a studio quality compressor (or at least a bright one) to clean it up while holding it longer at the magic point of growl.

you really cant tho. I play with a Gibson Flying V, 500T and 496R pickups, if those cant do distortion...

anyways on the top boost channel i put the volume up full volume and the master volume at the lowest and its still not dirty.

Archived