echo and delay?

• Members

As used in an "echo" or "delay" pedal, they are commonly the same thing

more technically I suppose

A delay line is an electronic device for imparting a time delay onto a signal

now you can configure the delay line to do a number of things

such as a "broadcast delay" to catch naughty words on the radio

a flanger is a delay line of very short duration in which the delay time is modulated
(some more feature packed "guitar delays" can be configured to do this)

a very primative "slapbak" or "bathroom reverb" can be had s well (which is really a series of ery very short echos)

and, of course, echo

depending on design, a dlay line can be made to "infinitely repeat" nd so work as a looper or phrase recorder

• Members

my delay works as an echo i think. I don't know. I still don't really know the differnece haha.

a "delay" in "guitar effects" terms is generally going to be an echo

now, some more full featured delays (like the old school rack delays) that often have things like LFO control over the delay time, "hold" functions, easily settable delay time ranges (so you can dial in small delay times in the single-digit ms range)

can allow you to use the delay as an echo, or a comb filter/flanger, or a chorus, or an "automatic double tracker" (as some used to cll a "doubler" type effect),or a looper --that part is all a matter of how you set it up

but yeah, if you say "gimme a delay pedal" -- that's pretty much an echo box

• Members
a "delay" in "guitar effects" terms is generally going to be an echo

now, some more full featured delays (like the old school rack delays) that often have things like LFO control over the delay time, "hold" functions, easily settable delay time ranges (so you can dial in small delay times in the single-digit ms range)

can allow you to use the delay as an echo, or a comb filter/flanger, or a chorus, or an "automatic double tracker" (as some used to cll a "doubler" type effect),or a looper --that part is all a matter of how you set it up

sounds like mine. :thu:

• Members

i think it doesn't have so much to do with time ranges so much as the use of low pass filtering on subsequent repeats... most delay effects that use such filtering will be pegged as an echo. i remember having a dispute about this a while back... i'll see if i can find the post.

• Members

Basically, an echo tends to roll off the treble on the repeats, a delay will not.

This is how I see it as well.

That's why I mentioned the Dan Echo above. It has the all-too-useful 'High Cut Filter' knob which lets you go from natural, distant sounding repeats that fade into undefined "echoes" to digital pristine sounding repeats ("delay", as it were).

• Members

hmm, a very interesting thread -- I think it might highlight differences in context, possibly even age!

By way of example -- those over, oh, I'm going to guess around 40 or so probably remember "fuzzbox" being slang for, generally, 'distortion generating device'
The internl operation of which could be any number of things (a clipper, a comparator fuzz, an saturating preamp stage)

Things were a bit more primative and, in some ways, designs hadn't become totally ubiquitous, at least in the players' conciousness

whereas now, theyounger player may tend to classify different...perhaps "intensities" of waveform distortion as "fuzz" or "overdrive" or "distortion"
(note : an odd part of these classifications is that they don't neccesarilly follow the actual nature of the waveform conversion)

The same may be true for "echo" and "delay".
As was mentioned above, from a technical perspective, "delay" is merely a mechanism for imparting a time delay to a signal....delays themselves have been used for a number of applications..including early computer memory!!

properly configured, a delay (be it tape, or bucket brigade, or digital mem or what-have you) can produce a series of time delayed images of a signal that could produce an acostic-echo-like effect

these would sometimes be called "echobox" (as in "echoplex", "space echo", etc)

Ithink the younger set has tended to key in on the limited fequency response of some of the older units and have associated "echo" with that. while "delay" has maybe been associated more with higher fidelity digital delay lines

So, it really could matter in what context you are asking and who you are asking...one caveat related to that, if you see somewhere, ebay say,a "totally classic unique delay that'll have everyone envious!" -- beware, it could be a broadcast delay or a time/phase correction delay tha is totally unsuitable for a musical instrument application

Archived