Cool Mods for a NYC reissue Big Muff

B-Bottom

• Members

What's the process for a rehousing like that? Is it heavy on electrical knowledge or just following instructions?

That looks awesome!
:thu:

I can't imagine it would be very hard because all the pot's and jacks are seperate from the board. (i think) so it's just a matter of putting it in a new box.

• Members

there are 4 diodes in that pedal. you can switch them out for different sets of diodes, or mix and match them. it will shape the sound a bit.

you can also play around with the values of resistors 1 & 2, and capacitors 1 & 2 (r1, r2 and c1 and c2.) A lot of mods are based around those 4 components.

• Members

I changed the tone stack in mine to Triangle. Love it. Used some ceramic disc type caps 'cuz Skr3ddy said so. ;)

There used to be a KILLER page with tons of mods listed for the 'Muff. It went down a while back & the last time I tried to visit it had already been gone long enough that Google didn't have the images cached anymore. . .

• Members

I changed the tone stack in mine to Triangle. Love it. Used some ceramic disc type caps 'cuz Skr3ddy said so.
;)

There used to be a KILLER page with tons of mods listed for the 'Muff. It went down a while back & the last time I tried to visit it had already been gone long enough that Google didn't have the images cached anymore. . .

Drasp knows what's up.

Here's a part of the killer page he mentioned. I captured a screen shot of it, before it went down...

bigmuffmods.png

• Members

Drasp knows what's up.

Here's a part of the killer page he mentioned. I captured a screen shot of it, before it went down...

bigmuffmods.png

You have the whole page? I have the text from it, but none of the images. We need to get that page back up! :idea:

• Members

I've got this:

Remove all transistors and add a transistor-socket (or make one out of IC sockets). Experiment with transistors. Some options:

* Stock 2N5088; high gain sound, more compression;

* 2N3904; less gain, more OD feeling;

* BC141; low gain, great OD / fuzz like sound.

Feedback mod; with this mod high notes will make "afternotes" a la Nintendo.

Connect a wire between the emitter of Q3 and the emitter of Q2 (sustain will be on full when engaged). Another place is between the collector of Q1 and the collector of Q3 (sustain can be adjusted). A nice control of this feedback loop can be made by inserting a LDR (Light Dependent Resistor) between the two points. This way the amount of light will determine the amount of current going through the feedback loop. With your foot you can control the amount of light thus control the amount of insane-ness.

NYC:

Russian:

Booster mod; A great mod is by adding a booster in front of the Big Muff. One great option is the AMZ MOSFET booster (a similar circuit is under the "boost" knob of the T-rex Mudhoney. Adding this gives a great saturation of the signal.

Tone stack mods:

The Big Muff Pi is legendary due to his tone section; only one knob to select between a bass, treble or in-between setting. The overall sound of this tone knob is the loved / hated mid cut.

original from DIYSTOMPBOXES

Some versions (view the frequency response here):

* Triangle version: R1=33k, C1=4n, R2=33k, C2=10n;

* Ramshead version: R1=33k, C1=4n, R2=22k, C2=10n;

* 1975 version: R1=39k, C1=4n, R2 = 22k, C2=10n;

* 1977 opamp version (1): R1=5.6k, C1=100n, R2=1.2k, C2=120n;

* 1977 opamp version (2): R1=8.2k, C1=100n, R2=1.2k, C2=120n;

* Green Russian version: R1=20k, C1=3.9n, R2=22k, C2=10n;

* Late model: R1=39k, C1=4n, R2=100k, C2=10n

* Reissue version: R1=22k, C1=3.9n, R2=22k, C2=10n;

* Little Big Muff version = reissue version.

And then some different mods:

* Swollen Pickle: R1=33k, C1=3.3n, R2 = 22k, C2=47n;

* Flat mids: R1=33k, C1=5.6n, R2=33k, C2=5.6n;

Mid control :

To add a mid control:

*Replace C1 with a 22 nF cap;

*Replace R2 with a 22k pot with a 1k resistor in series.

Mid control varies from big mid cut to no mid cut to mid boost

See how the missing pictures kinda' kill it?

• Members

See how the missing pictures kinda' kill it?

Yeah, but damn you have a helluva lot more info than I had.

I highly recommend the flat mids mod and one of the '77 op amp mods.

As a novice DIYer, you might want to pick one simple mod and slowly move forward. It can easily turn into overkill!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've got some time off coming up and have been interested in experimenting with my NYC BMP. Can anyone post a photo of the circuitboard with some notes that maybe identify the caps and resistors that are to be swapped? Or link to such a pic or schematic? Thanks.

Archived