Buff 'n' Muff?

-DC/AC-

• Members

Going down my "To Get" list (no "to do" just "to get") I noticed I do no have a booster or a fuzz pedal yet, and I feel I could use both about now. Several boosters I've looked at, like the Super Chilli Picaso and the Boost 'n' Buff are not TB, they have buffers. Now I've heard that if you have a buffered pedal in front of a fuzz it makes that fuzz sound like crap. Is this true? And if it is, how do you work around it?

I'm basing this all on the fact that boosters go before dirt pedals, is this correct?

Thanks in advance

• Members

I dunno if it's necessarily anything with a buffer, but germanium fuzzes are always picky for me. I'm more of a silicon fuzz/muff fan and haven't had much trouble in terms of placement with those, but every germanium fuzz that I've tried has been a total pain at some point in time.

• Members

I recently purchased both a Boost'N'Buff and a Neo Fuzz. Yeah, the buffer definitely needs to be after the fuzz, especially a germanium fuzz. A buffer completely changes the tonality of the pedal, and diminishes its ability to clean up with volume knob. I run the BnB last, works just fine for me.

• Members

its a fuzz-specific thing, a pedal-specific thing. a big muff can go anywhere, and any boost and any buffer before or after it, no problem. wont have that same luck/convenience with a Tonebender-type -- or germanium fuzzes in general, but also fuzzes like the zoom ultra fuzz are known to behave different at different points in the chain. theres rules, theres exceptions, its probably best to not blanket-statement it, and just refer to specific pedals when trying to figure out what'll go best/better where, and why.

depending on what you specifically wanna do with a boost, that'll (help) determine where it needs to go in the chain.

Archived