Russian EHX Pedals...Are they True-Bypass like the USA versions?

Noise...

• Members

I'm looking at getting a Russian Big Muff and a Russian Bassballs for my bass pedalboard, but I can't for the life of me find out if they're true bypass or not. I've searched here on HC, and googled as well and couldn't turn up anything.

I know the jacks are cheaper, and I know they aren't as pretty, but how about the bypass? If they aren't true bypass, is it at least buffered well, or do they suck tone?

• Members

I can't help but doubt they are tb...I have a russian small stone and bass balls but never noticed...sorry worthless post.

Not worthless at all. It's not so much that I care if they're true bypass or not - but more that I care if they suck tone. If they're buffered well I don't mind a bit.

Since you have two Russian pedals, have you noticed any tone-suckage with either of them?

• Members

i've had a couple black small stones, and never noticed any particular tone-suck with 'em. enough satisfactionso that i;d get another (or black muff), fwiw.

if you go the spam-thread route, or ebay/craigslist, you can try it with yer rig for a bit, and then if it aint up to snuff not end up out anything but the time it took.

now somebody else mention to -anti- that this was a(n attempted) nice & informative post, please. :)

• Members

i've had a couple black small stones, and never noticed any particular tone-suck with 'em. enough satisfactionso that i;d get another (or black muff), fwiw.

if you go the spam-thread route, or ebay/craigslist, you can try it with yer rig for a bit, and then if it aint up to snuff not end up out anything but the time it took.

now somebody else mention to -anti- that this was a(n attempted) nice & informative post, please.
:)

Thanks for a nice, helpful, and informative post.

And for not holding any grudges over our past arguments.

I'll take you off my ignore list..But seriously, I'm not getting into it with you again, so we'll have to agree to disagree on certain things.

:wave:

• Members

Thanks for a nice, helpful, and informative post.

And for not holding any grudges over our past arguments.

I'll take you off my ignore list..But seriously, I'm not getting into it with you again, so we'll have to agree to disagree on certain things.

{censored} yeah man. thank you for not holding grudges.

bump for TB-or-not certainty.

• Members

{censored} yeah man. thank
you
for not holding grudges.

bump for TB-or-not certainty.

I'm honestly shocked that no one knows if these are TB or not. Tons of guys on the bass forum use the Russian Big Muff, and I know quite a few guys here in the effects forum use plenty of the Russian EHX pedals.

And really, if no one can tell if they're TB or not, does it really matter at all? :freak:

• Members

i'd put money on them not being TB, but just to have somebody thats modded/fixed/etc under the hood to say with 100% certainty......... maybe tonite is a big bowling nite?

i still say go craigs/spam/ebay/etc. it should be good enough, but just in case, you take no hit on it.

of course, thats why i;ve got a cellarfull of gear --- "couldnt really try it out in the shop honey, they didnt have my amp/etc, i really needed to just try it with my setup...." :rolleyes:

• Members

OT, Russian Small Stone sounds a little bit deeper/more swoosh to me than the NYC reissue (from sound samples I've heard)- anyone else find this to be true? I'm thinking of buying a SS again, but not sure of which to go for...

I Have an older huge black russian small stone that I picked up a week or so ago for a good price, definetly not tb, but no real coloration or lack of tone. It's a brick. but it sounds good, and you're right it feels deeper than the NYC varriant

• Members

FWIW, I had a Russian Big Muff a while back, and it had a 3PDT switch. I never confirmed whether it was true bypass or not (used it only occasionally with bass, and didn't notice any tone suck), and have since sold it, but I don't think EHX would put a 3PDT switch in there if it wasn't true bypass.

• Members

...I don't think EHX would put a 3PDT switch in there if it wasn't true bypass.

Actually, they do. The US pedals all use 3PDT switches, even those that would only require an SPDT or even SPST (DMM etc). The reason is simple: bulk pricing. It's far cheaper for them to use the same switch in all their pedals.

As far as the russian EHX pedals go, I only have yet another "dunno" to offer... :confused: sorry.

/Andreas

• Members

yea, all new ussr ones are!

how do i know? i looked inside at the wiring of the 3pdt!

the old ones aint.

the new sovtek BMPs totally suck tho, its not even like a fuzz...more like a extreme overdrive which is disappointing to me.i ripped it apart and i'm rebuilding mine to other BMP specs so its actually usable.

• Members

Actually, they do. The US pedals all use 3PDT switches, even those that would only require an SPDT or even SPST (DMM etc). The reason is simple: bulk pricing. It's far cheaper for them to use the same switch in all their pedals.

Good point about bulk pricing.

I remember seeing the insides of a Switchblade some time ago. It also had a 3PDT switch (unnecessary in a passive A/B box; not to mention it wasn't wired correctly).

• Members

Interesting the new ones are, presuming you mean Russian, there's no "new ussr" ;) The old black ones are not TB, they're partial bypass, they load down the input when bypassed. My switch was losing it. The mostly-resistive load kills pickup tone, although to most buffers and FX outputs it's nothing.

Just got a NYC reissue, OMG, a monster. The russian was a nice distortion, my mods mostly make it even nicer so that works, but it is a gigantic difference.

• Members

Interesting the new ones are, presuming you mean Russian, there's no "new ussr"
;)
The old black ones are not TB, they're partial bypass, they load down the input when bypassed. My switch was losing it. The mostly-resistive load kills pickup tone, although to most buffers and FX outputs it's nothing.

Just got a NYC reissue, OMG, a monster. The russian was a nice distortion, my mods mostly make it even nicer so that works, but it is a gigantic difference.

I've got the NYC Version ordered already - I should have it by Monday (Although I'm hoping I get lucky and it comes tomorrow. :D) I've played them before and they really are some awesome pedals.

However, I've heard that the Russian Big Muff is much nicer on bass than the USA version. I'll test it when mine comes, but I'm still trying to find out info about the Russian EHX stuff. I'm also looking at a Russian Bassballs, which I've read sounds identical to (and may in fact have the same circuit as) the USA Version.

So, would a Russian Big Muff and Russian Bassballs that I'd get brand new now be true-bypass, or would they still just be the partial bypass?

• Members

any idea yet what version? and how tough said surgery might be?

MMM, not sure but what i have now is the blank PCB,enclosure and 3PDT everything else got thrown out.

you do have to know a little bit about stompboxes but its not hard, i only been making effects under 2 years.

my favorite BMP's the current NYC muff, i modded my LBM into a NYC muff as well.

I'm thinking maybe a NYC muff with different transistors and a better tone stack is a possibility.....

if all one wanted to do is turn a sovtek bmp into a NYC BMP its not hard and amounts to swapping out a few parts is all.