OT: Why does everyone love to hate john mayer?

locust tree

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

John is a great writer. Stop that train... 3x5... victoria... i could go on. He's a great player but not our "god" of today by any means. Something about him as a blues man is very disingenuous (but i think that of clapton as well... but i put clapton as a blues man over mayer for sho). He's a great singer in my opinion but he definitely borrows a lot from others (srv the most imo). I have all of his albums and the first one is still my favorite (minus woonderland which is a stupid ass song).

I appreciate John today because at least he's a musician making more than remedial music, which is rampant in these times.

His tone is very good and great sometimes. He plays minor scales over major chords (first live album... covered in rain) which is totally irritating imo.

He's extremely tallented but he says totally stupid things which also bug me sometimes, and then i get over it.

Here's the biggest deal for me... in a lot of his songs i feel like he created it from only a mental standpoint (i had a teacher tell me that music comes from 3 places... head, hands and heart), especially his blues stuff. his ballads are great though and heartfelt imo.

No one is perfect and we all have the choice to like or dislike whomever we choose. Just remember that he's played on some of the biggest stages in the world with some of the biggest acts and that deserves some level of respect.

• Members

I think the main reason people have such a hard time taking him seriously as a musician is because of how he came out, purely as a pop act. Very contrived and typical, but I am sure he had plenty of people telling him what to do then and trying to sell records to make as much money off of him as possible so they put him out as a sort of teen idol type, and now that he can show his teeth a bit (so to speak) people have a hard time seeing him as anything other than that pop idol poser. I was in complete shock when I found out he could actually play and was about more than just singing about highschool bull{censored} and tryin' to be pretty.

• Members

I think he just rubs people the wrong way with some of the comments he has made about his "role"" in music.

+1

My impression of him is that he's just a huge jerk. I watched as he inserted himself with some guitar legends at Crossroads a few years ago. Clapton was kinda shocked as he walked out on stage.

Every interview I've seen, his website, everything just screams gigantic ego.

• Members

I know next to nothing about John Mayer. But.... a few months ago I saw a concert of his on TV where he was playing a strat, doing an SRV type of thing. He could play, but the whole thing was LAME.. and the worst part was the ugly faces he was making at girls in the audience. It was freaky... and for that I will always hate him.

• Members

I'm a huge Mayer fan, but this post has made me think.

Not only is John a rip off noob, he is a hypocrite. The guy was at live earth over the summer up on stage for the press spewing how we all should be greener yada yada yada, but the douche drives a supercharged Porsche Cayenne in NYC???? I have seen numerous pics of videos of him in it.

I guess Al Gore is a hypocrite too since he flies in a private jet and has an entourage of SUVs.

• Members

People have been stealing from SRV for years. No one gave SRV {censored} that he stole from Buddy Guy, BB King and Albert King.

*cough* And Jimi Hendrix *louder cough* I can't believe you forgot Hendrix... whew, excuse me.

:poke:

^ Al Gore can lick my sweaty nut sack. He's a douche in a way that makes Mayer envious.

• Members

Ron paul is a {censored}ing joke and {censored}ing insane.

Well I don't know much about him, but he is spreading the truth that INCOME TAX IS ILLEGAL!!!! Straight up. Not figuratively speaking. It is not legal to tax income. Crazy huh?

John Mayer CAN'T play guitar. His guitar playing is what makes him suck. His solos have no music in them. Some "blues licks" and no direction. Get a clue!

• Members

Well I don't know much about him, but he is spreading the truth that
INCOME TAX IS ILLEGAL!!!!
Straight up. Not figuratively speaking. It is not legal to tax income. Crazy huh?

John Mayer CAN'T play guitar. His guitar playing is what makes him suck. His solos have no music in them. Some "blues licks" and no direction. Get a clue!

Well {censored}, then he's got nothing cuz his singing sounds like a slobbering retard that just had some dental work!?

• Members

damn. Compared to what else is being played on the radio these days....and I mean in the top 40 pop BBC 1, and most big FM stations, I'd say Mayer beats the hell out of the latest emo or R&B studio creation. {censored} he plays a guitar and really sings. I mean without pitch correction live, and well yeah He's a good songwriter too.

He's better than me.

I like him. {censored} all the haters. I like JT also. If it's good than it stands on it's on, who cares if it's pop.

I like his TRY! album too.....Pino grooves, don't he?

I'm tempted to vote for Ron Paul.

He makes more sense than the others.....almost like he has original solutions.

• Members

Because he can play his ass off, yet he never misses an opportunity to be corny as hell. Sometimes, he goes through long stretches of sounding great, then he gets corny. He's like a comedian who has great timing and great concepts but squanders the humor away with bad punch lines.

• Members

Because he can play his ass off, yet he never misses an opportunity to be corny as hell. Sometimes, he goes through long stretches of sounding great, then he gets corny. He's like a comedian who has great timing and great concepts but squanders the humor away with bad punch lines.

HMMmmm......

Kinda like a Jay Leno?

Not great, but usually fairly good?

• Members

damn. Compared to what else is being played on the radio these days....and I mean in the top 40 pop BBC 1, and most big FM stations, I'd say Mayer beats the hell out of the latest emo or R&B studio creation.

I think this is the bottom line. Everyone here tries to judge him as a "musician's musician" just because he has some semblance of proficiency on his instrument. He is a POP singer songwriter, and as such, he is one of the best out there right now. I don't think any of us need reminding what {censored}ty times these are for mainstream music. Mayer struck me as having a cool vision - he is not just some one hit wonder that had {censored}ty, bare bones songs fleshed out by a producer, or had a killer backing band manufactured for him by a label. He strikes me as being in control of his direction as an artist (i could be completely wrong on that one), and his compositions are genuine. Sure, he sounds like his influences when he solos, but so what? Can someone please find me evidence that he is trying to maket himself as the next great bluesman?

I have always had a soft spot for pop when it's done well. Coldplay caught my ear when they first came on the scene. Gin Blossoms, hell, even Wilson Philips all have a place in my music collection. I like John Mayer, so sue me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I saw JM in concert once as my buddy won free tickets on the radio. It almost felt like I was at a NKOTB or some other crap boy band show with all of the pre-adolescent teens that attended this thing with their parents.

1. He needs to not sing ever....The first time he sang he was blatantly trying to rip off DMB and the facial expressions...GAWD!

I probably wouldn't mind him so much if he were a sideman for a..you know...good blues act.

2. His solos were boring and it seems he is trying waay to hard to reinvent the reinvented wheel(s).

I about threw up when I saw him on ACL with Double Trouble.

3. I thought success in blues is about paying dues....Sounds to me like Johnny boy has not accrued many points thus far

Mayer says. "I want to pay my dues and not abuse the role. ..."

hahahahahahahahahahaha

Paying Dues =/= going to berkley or banging Jessica Simpson or some other bimbo. :rolleyes:

Archived