OT: Why does everyone love to hate john mayer?

locust tree

Whoa nelly!

I never contested they were bad musicians. That was someone else's argument. I was just pointing out the genre's that these academic musician's tend to fall into.
:cop:

I'll admit I have albums by some of these blokes. Scofield, Frisell, Stern and even Vinnie C. kicks ass on some of Zappa's work. But c'mon man, Paula Cole writes music to douche to. A lot of those other guys have instructional videos. Good on them, but I find a lot of their music stale.

There is quite a bit of stuff that I don't dig either....I just thought that the generalization was pretty obnoxious.....:)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I stand by my opinion that if Mayer had never done the acoustic pop stuff to start out with, 90% of the people that hate him would think he was great.

Me, I love his music, his playing, his singing. He's a great songwriter. He's the total package, really. Since when is it wrong to write catchy tunes? I mean, he gets bashed because he's not following some premeditated "indie" formula in his songs?

It's fine if you don't like his music. A lot of his earlier stuff I'm not a big fan of - but don't diminish the good qualities he has just because he did a couple girl friendly pop songs. He did those songs, got on top, now he's doing the music he loves which is great music all around. Go watch one of his shows. He has a great sound and is a very tasteful player.

Hate is music if you want, but don't call him a no talent hack that's just in it for the chicks and money. He's just like any of us - he loves to play and make great music.. and he's doing an excellent job at it.

• Members

Well I don't mind his success at all. I don't thing his songs are so awful either. I actually kinda like that one song Why Georgia. It has a cool guitar hook. But I'll tell you what bugs me about him: his guitar playing SUCKS! I mean he's polished like any musician with training is, but as far as style goes, his tone, and solos, soooo TRITE! I just happened to see him playing on the little video screens at GC the other day. I was just waiting on my friend who was checking out basses and decided to watch out of curiosity. After all John Mayer uses Two Rock amps, or at least has a signature model, and he's supposedly a good guitar player right? Well, ha ha, when he finally took a solo I was so let down I couldn't help saying so with my friend standing there watching with me. Mayer kept making diarrhea faces, like he was playing something so deep, but all that came out were bland, wimpy, unmusical blues licks. And I'm not against blues by any means, nor am I a blues purist. I mean it sounded like what's on those CD's that come with the "blues in 20 minutes" books. Seriously, has this guy never heard of motivic development, syncopation, dynamics? It's not that it's too mellow either, it just has no direction. Pit him up against anyone on the level of Derek Trucks, Robben Ford, SRV, Hendrix and there's really no competition. I mean even among less well known or virtually unknown players there are tons that he can't even hold a candle to. Or if you want a feasible pop-rock star how about Kenny Wayne Shepherd? That guy could actually play and had some decent songs too. Put him on that TV screen and I'll watch the whole song and thoroughly enjoy all of his solos. But if these record company swines are going to take a bluesy singer songwriter type, and prop them up in a pop venue, with record contract, publicity package etc. at least get someone with some BALLS! Just another nauseating reminder to stay as FAR AWAY AS POSSIBLE from the anyone in the "money" side of the record industry.

• Members

I could rest my case on this (particularly the tattoo):

john-mayer-gap-ad.jpg

But in all honesty I think he's a decent guitar player. Better than me, and surely better than a bunch of other players out there. But he's no guitar god. And from what I hear from people who have met him and hung out with him, he's a bit of a pretentious douche.

• Members

LMAO... Mark Wahlberg. What a tool. What a terrible flick.

Yeah but Boogie Nights was hilarious! He acts the same in every movie. I hate to admit, I liked a couple of Mayer's songs on his last album but I still don't like "him". I don't like his sarcastic, big headed attitude. I don't like that he borrows from other and doesn't really respect them enough to acknowledge them (like SRV did). He isn't humble, he isn't original but he does have skills and can make a catchy song. I don't like his older stuff, where his singing sounds like a drooling idiot. A few of his new songs have some rythms reminiscent of Marvin Gaye and Hendrix, a watered down version of them. He isn't breaking new grounds, he isn't saying anything important or original in his lyrics but his music is catchy. All in all he's o.k. but not as great as he thinks he is.

• Members

Long post, but read, google this stuff. For those that say this is bull, you are in denial.

he is a true rip off artist. He has ripped off so many people it isnt even funny.

The crazy thing is, he takes parts and sections from various songs and puts them together. I have no idea how the hell he gets away with it. His whole first album was a such a rip off of Dave Matthews that he even hung his guitar the same way and angle as Dave Matthews.

"Waiting on the World to Change" is actually Curtis Mayfield's "we're a winner" and the bridge to waiting on the world to change is actually 'people get ready" by Curtis Mayfield. Curtis's son Kirk was so pissed he called out John last year in the media to admit he ripped off his father, after a while John admitted he took the song and tried to say it was a homage, yeah right.. Kirk Mayfield is now suing Mayer for copyright infringement.

John has also stolen tons of {censored} from Clapton and admits it openly. I know Clapton has embraced John, but that is besides the point. The word is, Clapton was really pissed off at first before he knew John and Clapton's people warned him not to make a stink about it and just let it go and use John's presence to hit a younger audience, as of John's impact to a younger crowd base.

the "Thank Yous" page in John Mayer's "Continuum" CD notes that "Eric Clapton knows I steal from him time to time and he's still cool with it." I'm sure it's the same all around.

Jimmy Vaughan has said some stuff about how John has knowingly stole stuff for his Brother Stevie Ray and watered it down. John does a really bad job doing SRV, and it is so bad he sounds like a youtube SRV noob.

Gravity = May this be LOVE (waterfall Hendrix)

Your body is a wonderland = (Extreme - More than words..)

Clarity = rip off of "Every breath you take" section and also a Dave Matthews song. John also openly admits of stealing the Police section from "Every Breath You Take"

"The heart of life" - was actually stolen (not redone or licensed) from a country singer, I dont know the guy's name, but the guy is also in litigation also.

Not only is John a rip off noob, he is a hypocrite. The guy was at live earth over the summer up on stage for the press spewing how we all should be greener yada yada yada, but the douche drives a supercharged Porsche Cayenne in NYC???? I have seen numerous pics of videos of him in it.

another hypocrisy of John Mayers... he bashed American Idol but then a year later worked with a few idols on their albums $$$$$$$$$$$..

John Mayer disses ''American Idol.'' The singer/songwriter tells AP that the show finds singers without integrity

Singer-songwriter John Mayer enjoys watching ''American Idol,'' but has no respect for its contestants. ''You can't ever find a true American idol on that show, because a true American idol would have too much [self]-respect to do that show,'' the apple-cheeked Mayer, who's become a teen idol in his own right, told the Associated Press. He added that no real artist would audition for the show: ''I would rather live to be 80 and [have] sold zero records rather than be standing the way someone told me to stand.''

Not every artist shares Mayer's anti-''Idol'' views, however. Fellow singer-songwriter Aimee Mann told EW.com last year that she understands the impulses that drive the show's contestants. ''I probably would have done something like that. When you're really young, you want to feel special and important -- you want to make something of yourself,'' she said. ''You want to have a career, but you don't understand what that means.'' Just ask Frenchie.

and last but not least, John might take the cake for the biggest douchebag hypocrite ever with this interview he did with Access Hollywood

• Members

I like the John Mayer Trio record...He is a talented singer/guitarist. He writes good stuff, and he plays his own instrument. He is probably the most talented person that Mtv Vh1 and mainstream radio will play these days. We don't need to hate on any "real" musicians trying to play the game, there are enough lipsyncing media-hyped pop puppets out there to hate if you need to. Although I don't like everything he has done He writes good songs and plays a mean strat, he is cool in my book. Anything post John Mayer Trio is worth your time...

• Members
sold zero records rather than be standing the way someone told me to stand.''

Not every artist shares Mayer's anti-''Idol'' views, however. Fellow singer-songwriter Aimee Mann told EW.com last year that she understands the impulses that drive the show's contestants. ''I probably would have done something like that. When you're really young, you want to feel special and important -- you want to make something of yourself,'' she said. ''You want to have a career, but you don't understand what that means.'' Just ask Frenchie.

and last but not least, John might take the cake for the biggest douchebag hypocrite ever with this interview he did with Access Hollywood

• Members
Wow. I guess you don't like the guy enough to waste your time digging up all this dirt to make your case. What did he do? Sleep with your girl or something?
;)

Not yet but he will do. The Mayermeister always gets the muff that he wants.

*prays for the day that a horrible accident causes Russ Meyer and John Mayer to merge into one single entity*

• Members

I like the tone Mayer gets but that is about it. I hate his voice. I don't have a VA J J so his Jedi tricks don't work on my sentimental side. Wait, I don't have a sentimental side. Every decade has some ultra talented-(but somehow sucks), makes it look easy douche that dives for the deck and makes horrible music. The last guy to fit the bill was Dave Matthews. Every time that guy opened his mouth it sounded like a four octave fart slipped out of his ass. HRm ern uyrn arnn um dumb.

• Members

Wow. I guess you don't like the guy enough to waste your time digging up all this dirt to make your case. What did he do? Sleep with your girl or something?
;)

actually that took me less then 10 minutes to post, a lot of that is copy and pasted from actual articles. I never post here as I am busy making money doing music. I know people that know John and he is truly an a##hole. He is a decent guitar player but the over hype is enough already considering it's the same {censored} watered down. Research and you see how much stuff he has stolen from people.

His audience could care less though, which is mostly made up of upper middle class white college kids with his music on their ipods.

• Members

;)

oh yeah my GF hates him with a passion. As I said we know people that know him, comedian friends of ours and I have a well known guitar player friend of mine that I actually go to his house that I wont say his name did a few magazine covers with John and this cat says John needs to get punched in the head he is so arrogant and condescending.

someone pointed out to me how John knowingly lifts stuff from people, and even has the balls to rearrange stuff from published music books and songs when he hits road blocks with his songs. This was told me by a guy I know and it is confirmed true.

• Members

oh yeah my GF hates him with a passion. As I said we know people that know him, comedian friends of ours and I have a well known guitar player friend of mine that I actually go to his house that I wont say his name did a few magazine covers with John and this cat says John needs to get punched in the head he is so arrogant and condescending.

someone pointed out to me how John knowingly lifts stuff from people, and even has the balls to rearrange stuff from published music books and songs when he hits road blocks with his songs. This was told me by a guy I know and it is confirmed true.

Yeah, if you listen to a lot of music, especially older obscure blues, you'll see all kinds of borrowed riffs. "Waiting on the World to Change" sounds similar to Hendrix's "Axis Bold as Love" meets Marvin Gaye "Mother Mother". If you take a song, especially one that people love, they'll love it again because it's familiar. Rap music is based off this principal, but hey whities like Mayer have been stealing from black musicians forever (Pat Boone's version of Little Richards "Tootie Fruttie"), so what do you expect. I have no problem with borrowing or using music, but if you're going to do it acknowledge the source!

• Members

...because of his stupid "O" face

...because of his grating voice

...because Berkley kids are douchebags (I used to live across the street from campus)

...because he had the arrogance to include footage of himself signing autographs in his "wonderland" video, before most people new who the {censored} he was.

...and because he's a wanker who writes crap songs, so am I - but I don't try to charge people for it.

EDIT:

...and because he dated that dumbass, walking meatsack Jessica Simpleton. No credibility points for you my friend!!!

• Members

that's nice and all... but it's all ripping off man! wake up! There aren't that many notes in the scales you can play (12 innit?) so you're bound to find some similarities between songs.. especially if you look at the influences of certain artists... Oasis copied from the Beatles! boohoo! but that's the way it goes...

Should we rip on musicians for stealing stuff from the classical wizards? (Mozart, Bach, etc...)

• Members

that's nice and all... but it's all ripping off man! wake up! There aren't that many notes in the scales you can play (12 innit?) so you're bound to find some similarities between songs.. especially if you look at the influences of certain artists... Oasis copied from the Beatles! boohoo! but that's the way it goes...

Should we rip on musicians for stealing stuff from the classical wizards? (Mozart, Bach, etc...)

The difference is whether one is ripping off past generations for the betterment of new music or just looting stuff into cliche oblivion. Are you ripping it off well or not.

Archived