OT: Why does everyone love to hate john mayer?

locust tree

• Members

I feel like i missed the memo or something. Really, it seems like everyone (musicians especially) love to take cheap shots at this guy. Ok ok, so maybe he's not doing anything radically new and different... but if you take him for what he is, which is a POP musician with a jazz and blues influence, he's pretty damn good. He writes convincing hits and really solid songs in general. He can play guitar like a mofo. He's got a great (and unmistakable) voice. As lyricist, he's not the best, but every now and then i'll hear a line that i really like. Maybe his overall style is a little... milktoast. But when i saw him do a live set on TV last week, he was having a blast - totally messing with his songs' forms and taking them way out for solos and improv. He was definitely playing from the heart. Why do people think that he's so contrived? Or is that what people think? I can never really tell. Fans and haters alike, please give me some insight.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he's pretty good. I listen to that Continuim album whenever I get a chance. A friend of mine spent the past year making fun of me for listening to him. Then by chance, saw him in Buddy Guy's blues club in Chicago tearing it up and having fun with the audience. Now he's a fan.

Also, he's known for being a practical joker and purposely doing things to come off like an ass for a laugh and chance to be on youtube. He's a bit off in that respect, because people take him more seriousely than he is.

• Members

cause he's talented ?? dates actresses and models?

what rec co would have taken on another blues guy? he came in for the chics and went to his soul

Hugh Grant???
:freak:
Na he just pulled the ole pop watuzze on the record co's to get in
:idea:

Yep, Hugh Grant. Ever seen Grant in Roman Polanski's Bitter Moon? Surprisingly wierdly good. Hugh can act but he's locked into doing {censored}ty romantic comedies. Mayer's got ability to play yet writes pretty boring wine bar music. COuldn't give a {censored} if he dates actresses, models and members of the vatican hierarchy. His music is beige.

• Members

envy and it's easy to online diss someone who's successful.

Come November, you'll be looking forward to my 'Diss people who buy pedals and then convert them into rack units' thread then :poke::thu:

(I actually love your project threads and wish I had anywhere near that level of patience and ability with a soldering iron).

I enjoy Continuum....I saw him open for Counting Crows a few years ago before Heavier Things came our and I was prepared to hate him....he actually played electric most of the night, put on a good show and wasn't the douche I expected him to be....the TRY! album was OK, and I like Continuum once I got past the first track.

He's obviously not breaking any new ground, but whats wrong with playing the music you enjoy, being successful and lucky? We all know more talented players in our hometowns, but he's the one who won the lottery...

Yes...I am jealous...:)

Archived