Is there such a thing as a "overdrive" pedal?

DanJep

• Members

Be patient with me here, I've only been playing about a year. Is there a pedal that will increase the overdrive when you step on it? Yes, I know I can push my amp hard, but there are a couple of songs I'm working on where there just isn't time to adjust a knob. A pedal would be much faster.

Thanks

• Members

Yes. There are an unbelievably large number of them.

This should help, it's all of the overdrive, distortion (heavy overdrive) and fuzz (wildest type of guitar distortion) available on musiciansfriend. You can search from price, type, manufacturer, etc.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/overdrive-distortion-fuzz-boost-guitar-effects-pedals?N=100001+338518

Some favorites around here are :

Overdrive

Digitech Bad Monkey - $39.99
- Smooth, bluesy, classic Stevie Ray Vaughan kind of sound ; basically a less expesive copy of the classic Ibanez tubescreamer, one of the most famous and popular overdrive pedals

Digitech Screamin' Blues - $49.99
- Brighter, more balanced, transparent heavy overdrive sound ; Copy of Boss BD-2 overdrive

Distortion

Proco RAT2 - $89.99
- Think Radiohead and more fuzzy, powerful alternative/indie heavy sounds

Boss DS-1 - $39.99
- Another classic pedal, used by Steve Vai, lots of metal players, Kurt Cobain, etc. Basically the tubescreamer of higher distortion sounds.

Fuzz

Dunlop Fuzz Face - $99.99
- Hendrix, Cream-era Clapton, essentially THE vintage fuzz sound

Electro Harmonix Big Muff - $79.99
- Huge, thick fuzz sound, very bassy, very "scooped" in terms of midrange and more "wall of sound" than clear and articulate. Think Smashing Pumpkins, White Stripes, Black Keys, Dead Meadow, etc.

Hope this helped.

• Members

Be patient with me here, I've only been playing about a year. Is there a pedal that will increase the overdrive when you step on it? Yes, I know I can push my amp hard, but there are a couple of songs I'm working on where there just isn't time to adjust a knob. A pedal would be much faster.

Thanks

Just to "confuse" you even more :p

* http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?query=overdrive&config=&uid=xjbK0gAA1193181219&command=search--items%22&Submit=GO%21

. . . but feel free to ask when ever you need some info :thu:

Archived