which envelope filter/auto wah?

juanf88d

• Members

Hi there anyone,

Anyone with a good ear+knowledge of envelope filters fancy helping me out? In this video:

Steve Malkmus does a great envelope filter solo in the middle, I read somewhere that he used a meatball, but I'm not shelling out for one! If it helps he's using a jazzmaster through an orange head+marshall cab. I want to know if I can get that sound out of a doctor Q, or if not, any ideas?

• Members

Free the Guilty: Yeah I thought that at first, but the old dod my brother had did that when the sensitivity wasn't adjusted and you picked too hard. The second time it's a beautiful smooth swell that I've never come anywhere near close to with my vox wah - maybe I need to look at wahs instead, maybe I need to work on my feet! Bought a vox because of the name but it's not very smooth and quite a narrow range. Not sure...

Bowlingshirt: My budget is not very much, I'm not massively bothered, just saw a doctor q on ebay for 26.50 (+p&p) and thought well it might be better than the dod I tried (which isn't too bad actually)

Duderanimous: Yeah someone said the q -tron is worth investing in. I'll maybe save up.

Cheers!

• Members

Bowlingshirt: My budget is not very much, I'm not massively bothered, just saw a doctor q on ebay for 26.50 (+p&p) and thought well it might be better than the dod I tried (which isn't too bad actually)

Duderanimous: Yeah someone said the q -tron is worth investing in. I'll maybe save up.

I would at least look into a Mini-Q instead of the doctor-Q

• Members

I have a few effects that do either auto-wah or envelope filter:

EHX Q-Tron +

EHX The Worm

EHX Flanger Hoax

Digitech Synth-Wah

Akai VariWah

If you are looking for something around $50, I highly recommend a used Akai VariWah. It's a very versatile wah pedal that can do both manual or auto-wah, and the expression pedal can control rate, or depth, or sensitivity in the autowah setting, which is really a unique feature among wahs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Settings?

I LOVE going out of the Hoax into a filter.

Phaser Wah

Blend: 2:00

Feedback Switch: SWPT

Response: LOG

Modulation Mode: 0

Amount: 1:30 (variable sweep from 12:00 - 3:00)

Rate: 1:00 (variable rate from 10:00 - 2:00)

Delay Mode: DC

Invert Switch: Bypass

Fixed Phaser Switch: Bypass

Delay Amount: 12:00

Swept Phaser Switch: SWEPT

Delay Amount: 12:00

Archived