OT: any computer synth geeks here?

squareking

• Members

I posted this over on the synth forum, but I thought I'd spread it out a bit.

I'm *just* getting started with computer synths -- last night I downloaded ASIO4ALL, Minihost and Crystal to get started. I don't have an external midi controller and I haven't really configured anything, but I'm not getting any sound. My only option under 'Output Channels' is 'No output selected 1/No output selected 2.' I'm sure it's working; when I hit a key on the virtual keyboard, the volume levels jump. I'm running Vista, if it matters. Again, I'm a huge noob at this stuff, so any advice you guys can give is awesome. :thu:

• Members
PC running Vista. I don't think I have outs...just headphone out.
:(

Headphones OK. In your Computers Preferences find the audio page or sound manager. Were you select where audio comes and goes to. It should read Input from the Synth. If not, configure the Synth output to the computer's sound manager. They have to see each other. Read the Read Me Info that was down loaded with the softsynth to configure it.

• Members
Headphones OK. In your Computers Preferences find the audio page or sound manager. Were you select where audio comes and goes to. It should read Input from the Synth. If not, configure the Synth output to the computer's sound manager. They have to see each other. Read the Read Me Info that was down loaded with the softsynth to configure it.

It's probably that simple. I'll check it out when I get off work. Thanks. :thu:

• Members

I just downloaded the Arturia Minimoog V and it is AWESOME!!!! One of the coolest plugins Ive ever heard. Here's what it sounds like:

That's awesome. I wanna be able to record {censored} like that on my computer but I'm too dumb with computers that I wouldn't know how to work it.

• Members

I'm not sure how to config the synth output to the sound manager. Vista is completely new to me and I hate it.
:mad:

outs.jpg

That's my problem.
:(
Where do I go in Vista's sound manager?

sound.jpg

Show the Control Panel on Vista then select outputs.. Click Recording and you should see the Vista input. Enable it.

• Members

Show the Control Panel on Vista then select outputs.. Click Recording and you should see the Vista input. Enable it.

I did some searching and many people couldn't get the version of ASIO4ALL for work with Vista. So I tried the 2.8 beta version and now I'm golden. Crystal sounds awesome!

Thanks for your help, man. Now all I need is a midi controller...

• Members

Vista pretty much sucks ass for audio right now. Downgrade to XP if you can :-) On XP, Asio4All works GREAT for me, I use it with sonar (+ miniMoog, the best software synth I've ever tried), Propellerhead Reason (REALLY cool program with lots of virtual instruments), and Ableton Live (Great for making live techno mixes at parties)

Archived