I like Cake's guitar sound.

veil

• Members

I love Fashion Nugget.

Here's what he used:

Greg Brown, Cake (Fashion Nugget + motorcade)

Silvertone 1484 Twin Twelve

Guild Starfire III (1960s)

Proco Rat

he runs the amp clean and gets the overdrive from the Rat.

any good OD pedal will do (my Reverend Drivetrain II gets close)

He plays in the bridge position almost exclusively

a hollowbody guitar is an essential ingredient to achieve this tone

I suspect he uses flatwound strings by listening to his tone.

(get the Bill Deville from
www.nelsonic.com
)

From this site:

Gear site

• Members

I've always really liked that guy's tone too, really woody sounding. I always assumed it was a hollowbody with p-90's into a tweed-style amp with big speakers, like a bassman or something.

That ratty sounding acoustic they have on a bunch of their songs is cool too. I remember hearing that it wasn't some sort of effect, but rather a beat-ass old cheap acoustic that they treated like gold since it was such a big part of their sound.

• Members

Do you?

What do they use? Specifically on songs like "Italian Leather Sofa" and "Going the Distance."

It's really cool, funky tone.

no.

the band is famous and the guy cant even sing. cake is another band that sucks. sorry, i cant make the art to music connection.

why do people like all these wierd obscure bands? am i just too old ?

• Members

I've always really liked that guy's tone too, really woody sounding. I always assumed it was a hollowbody with p-90's into a tweed-style amp with big speakers, like a bassman or something.

That ratty sounding acoustic they have on a bunch of their songs is cool too. I remember hearing that it wasn't some sort of effect, but rather a beat-ass old cheap acoustic that they treated like gold since it was such a big part of their sound.

Heads up guys, Cake has had two guitar players over the years. I can't remember the original guy, (last album was fashion nugget I believe but not sure). Anyway, the guy that has been playing with them since was a local bay area phenom named Xan McCurdy. He has the original guy covered no problem. IF you want to hear some of his original work check out a band called the loved ones. They are amazing and Xan gets tone out of any amp guitar combo you can imagine. He is amazing.

• Members

I'm sure I read somewhere that they make a point of buying up small crappy (but usually tube) amps that are in poor condition and just torturing them until they sound like they are about to break. Seems pretty cool, making music from junk that no-one would normally consider using.

• Members

no.

the band is famous and the guy cant even sing. cake is another band that sucks. sorry, i cant make the art to music connection.

why do people like all these wierd obscure bands? am i just too old ?

Cake isn't obscure. Weird, maybe.

Personally, I like weird music; the weirder, the better.

• Members

I'm sure I read somewhere that they make a point of buying up small crappy (but usually tube) amps that are in poor condition and just torturing them until they sound like they are about to break. Seems pretty cool, making music from junk that no-one would normally consider using.

The problem is that EVERYONE wants to do that now. Tough to find ANY tube amp, no matter how old and ratty, that isn't a bit pricey now. Maybe if you looked at stuff that wasn't made for guitar, like little old tube stereos and powered PA's.

• Members

I agree!! The early Cake guitar tones are some of my favorite. Greg Brown is a great expressive player. Like someone else said, he used a Guild StrafireIII with Dearmond 2000k pickups. I think any hollowbody with these pickups would get you there or really close. I never realized that he got his overdrive from a Rat, though. hmmmm, very interesting.

Tim

• Members

The problem is that EVERYONE wants to do that now. Tough to find ANY tube amp, no matter how old and ratty, that isn't a bit pricey now. Maybe if you looked at stuff that wasn't made for guitar, like little old tube stereos and powered PA's.

look for toob reel-to-reels like the old webcor regent series. If you can find a fully working one you'll have a toob amp & a wicked sweet recording device.

• Members

Love the playing and tone on Stickshifts and Safetybelts from Fashion Nugget.

He nails the album tone really well in this live cut:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PkgXArxRxy8

My current band has been covering that one - it's a pretty fun little workout :D

I absolutely adore Cake - what a wicked band. Catchy tunes, smart lyrics, wicked guitar tones, and stone-cold bass playing = :thu:

• Members

Love the playing and tone on Stickshifts and Safetybelts from Fashion Nugget.

He nails the album tone really well in this live cut:

wow!! that is their 2nd guitarist, Xan. He really does do a good job of playing and getting a real similar tone to Greg's sound. Color me impressed. I have always liked his playing, but always thought Greg was much better.

Tim

• Members

... I absolutely adore Cake - what a wicked band. Catchy tunes, smart lyrics, wicked guitar tones, and stone-cold bass playing =
:thu:

I agree completely. I'd only heard their cover of I Will Survive before I read this thread, checked them out on youtube, promptly downloaded all three albums and have listened to them relentless for the last day and a half.

Nugget and Motorcade are great albums, not quite as keen on Comfort Eagle, but it's still a good listen and may grow on me more yet.

Thanks to the thread author, veil for turning me onto these guys! :phil:

Archived