One thing about looping

SpectralJulian

• Members

One thing that can really help is to think in terms of loop decay

looping systems can tend to operate as "phrase recorders", keeping a passage going, ostinato, pretty much forever

then we may add to that, start building on that

BUT then, we can get to a "saturation" point and cancel a loop wholesale

If, however, the device (and our thinking) allows us to think in terms of decay (basically allows us to set regen on the loop
we can start thinking in terms of transition as opposed to discrete starting/stopping

havng a couple of looping devices (of multi-simul-looping devices) can help with this

• Members

One thing that can really help is to think in terms of loop decay

looping systems can tend to operate as "phrase recorders", keeping a passage going, ostinato, pretty much forever

then we may add to that, start building on that

BUT then, we can get to a "saturation" point and cancel a loop wholesale

If, however, the device (and our thinking) allows us to think in terms of decay (basically allows us to set regen on the loop

we can start thinking in terms of transition as opposed to discrete starting/stopping

havng a couple of looping devices (of multi-simul-looping devices) can help with this

This is the way I like to approach it. It's also the reason why I like using the DD-20's warp mode for looping and fading out different layers as opposed to the sound-on-sound where it's a dramatic turning off.

• Members

I'm thinking if I ever change to running in stereo I'm going to get two volume/pan pedals and run my set-up like this.

Frequency Analyzer -> DT-10 -> 250 -> polyphase-> little big muff -> pulsar -> clone theory

clone theory left to dry amp

clone theory right to first volume/pan- stereo outputs plug into stereo ins on the haz- stereo outputs on the haz plug into stereo ins on 2nd volume pan- 2nd volume pan uses mono out (hopefully volume/pan pedals mix down in volume mode when set this way, otherwise I might have to make my own)

That way I could manually fade with my foot, crossfade the left and right channels (have separate loops on each side) or turn the volume down on the input and turn the repeats to 50% on the Haz and hold record to have loops fade. Or record loops silently so I can manipulate them by tweaking knobs with my feet and then bring them in.

• Members

no - not a dick

Actually, I was talking in the political party and there is some misunderstanding there (but it was about religious philosophy, so it can get pretty abstract...hey, thoughts on God can get that way... and there is that temptation to invalidate an opinion you don't like)

I think it may be for a ouple of reasons, but one big one might be that I work with patents a lot and the writing style there is different, so if I'm in heavy "patent mode"

multi-simu-looping was meant to be kind of poetic/whimsical for "capable of playing multiple loops simultaneously"
that's MY fault

Another thing that might be a problem is that I gather you are a less technical user (yes? no?) -- not a critisim, I just mean maybe you aren't as interesting in the guts, internal architecture, etc

• Members

maybe it's just the way he spaces his posts out that throws me off.

probably.

My mechanics are kind of {censored} these days, esp on the ole web. Honeslty, some of it is this damn glidepoint (it move the cursor around). But I think I also tend to try to use spaces, ellipses, hyphens, etc to impart more rhythm to the writing because I can get kind of wordy

(that might be from the patent work...Im kind of old-school with patents...so claims - part of a patent - should be one big, long runon sentence. There should beno "alternative language" like OR. I think it leaks over at crunch time)

• Members

Yeah, it's kinda how I think these days - subjects don't really having dividing lines for me now

I'm *way* less concrete than I was in my younger years

maybe an overdose of things I knew were true but weren't...at least not in the ways I thought

I switched from Chess to Go
I switched from European to Greenland Paddling
I'm actually starting to internalize Indian Classical Music
That one big hit, the broken heart that changes you forever...redemption

What they say about fencing is true -- it takes two lifetimes to master.
first you are quick and strong but also brash and brazen - later you may be slow but there is a craftiness to it

I used to be able to construct a linear cannon of thought and would attempt to storm the gates.
I can't any more, or maybe I'm not willing -- but if I'm lucky, and work with skill, maybe I can "walk down this hill and {censored} ALL those cows"

Archived