I bought a FRANKENTELE!

Destructobot

• Members

Well, it's not really modified all that much, but I can't believe I got this thing for so cheap! Anybody else have experience with the 80's MIJ squiers? From reading the reviews, it sounds like the body might actually be swamp ash. The only thing I don't like is the top load bridge, but I could probably have the body drilled and get a good string-through unit installed for not too much $$$. I certainly won't have to be timid about modding the thing further. I've gotta do something about that cover on the bridge pickup asap though.

Frankentele!

• Members
but I could probably have the body drilled and get a good string-through unit installed for not too much $$$. that's exactly what I did. I bought a wilkinson bridge (nice n' heavy), lined it up, and had the holes drilled on a drill press. Counter sink the back holes for the ferules, install the bridge, done. Looks n' sounds just fine.

• Members

Well, it's not really modified all that much, but I can't believe I got this thing for so cheap! Anybody else have experience with the 80's MIJ squiers? From reading the reviews, it sounds like the body might actually be swamp ash. The only thing I don't like is the top load bridge, but I could probably have the body drilled and get a good string-through unit installed for not too much $$$. I certainly won't have to be timid about modding the thing further. I've gotta do something about that cover on the bridge pickup asap though.

Don't be too quick to judge that bridge pickup - Harmonic Design makes some of the best pickups I've ever heard...

• Members

but I could probably have the body drilled and get a good string-through unit installed for not too much $$$.
that's exactly what I did. I bought a wilkinson bridge (nice n' heavy), lined it up, and had the holes drilled on a drill press. Counter sink the back holes for the ferules, install the bridge, done. Looks n' sounds just fine.

You did all the work yourself? Did you use a classic 3-saddle bridge? I just looked up wilkinson bridges on Stewmac.com and they only showed the three saddle ones. Wait a minute.....my drill press is back in Wisconsin. Guess I'd have to get a shop to do it either way.

• Members

Oh heavens no! I didn't mean to change the pickup, just the cover on it. Right now it has a tortoise cover on the PU that matches the pickguard, I want a black one like a standard tele pu.

It's not a cover like a trad strat cover - it's glued onto the bobbin I'm afraid...

Archived