zvex machine

• Members

I don't have one, but this is the one pedal that sounds the most unique for what it is to me. The idea is great. If it was half it's price, I'd snatch it up in a second, but otherwise, I have the same reservations as you.

Then again, I never thought I'd get a Fuzz Factory, either...

• Members

I don't have one, but this is the one pedal that sounds the most unique for what it is to me. The idea is great. If it was half it's price, I'd snatch it up in a second, but otherwise, I have the same reservations as you.

Then again, I never thought I'd get a Fuzz Factory, either...

Yeah. I can't imagine spending as much money on a boutique effect unless it's something I can't get anywhere else, like this. The Fuzz Factory to me is pretty meh when put against all the other fuzz out there.

• Members

Yeah. I can't imagine spending as much money on a boutique effect unless it's something I can't get anywhere else, like this. The Fuzz Factory to me is pretty meh when put against all the other fuzz out there.

Yeah, but for the most part, I think ZVex pedals shouldn't be lumped into the same category as other pedals. The FF isn't really like a fuzz pedal to me... as soon as I listened to Boris' album "Rainbow" I understood that, and I wound up ordering one that night.

• Members

Yeah, but for the most part, I think ZVex pedals shouldn't be lumped into the same category as other pedals. The FF isn't really like a fuzz pedal to me... as soon as I listened to Boris' album "Rainbow" I understood that, and I wound up ordering one that night.

they used it? that's pretty sweet. isn't that the one with michio?

• Members

I have one. I use it in a way that the ZVex video doesn't really highlight - which is to use it for sustained power chords... it gets this really cool ripping "industrial" type of sound with a sort of envelope sweep that I love for big huge power chords. Although the Machine's sound can be somewhat approximated by octavia type pedals, I find it to be a very unique sound that I haven't heard in any other pedal. And yes, it is true - it will slice through any amount of dirt boxes you have after it.

It won't make you sound like The Wipers though! ;)

• Members
who has one? I keep going back to the zvex page and watching the demo. It just seems so interesting. I'd only be worried about it be too limiting in what it can. Too unruly. Truth?

I have my early 97 etched Machine. God bless Jason's bloody fingers. It's main purpose is to affect other dirt pedals or a dirty amp. It has a single setting where the IN Drive is a little back from full for best sweep effect. The Limit knob controls clipping of the signal and sounds like fuzz at 7:00 and unclipped at 5:00. It does a fantastic frequency sweep that can be shortened by lowering your guitar volume. Into a Fuzz Factory is some ultimate grinding Machine noise. Into a Way Huge Swollen Pickle for some reason sounds like an earthquake!

ZVEX Machine :) into Way Huge Swollen Pickle Jumbo Fuzz :)
http://www.savefile.com/files/786954

• Members

I've also been really interested in this one, and finally got a chance to try it out locally. I only ran it by itself, and into a BoR I was also demo'ing. I think it would work better with wilder fuzz pedals, as alone it seemed a bit more subtle than the video demo suggested. But it was still a very unique sound, and I haven't tried anything else that approximated its sound. It's on my GAS list, but the price is what's holding it up. And I almost never see them used.

• Members

I had one but ebayed it.

Awesome pedal! But it is tricky to use right. Most guys seem to dig how it sounds to make leads cut in front of a fuzz pedal or heavy distortion. Personally, I liked how it sounded as an overdrive pedal in front of a slightly broken up tube amp. If you ride the neck pickup of a guitar...preferably with p90s or single coils....it gives a really aggressive industrial sounding distortion that doesn't sound icepicky at all...just really industrial and heavy. It also sounded good for playing a sort of nasty blues solo tone.

It went best with my Jazzmaster, but after selling my JM I couldn't get the Machine to work right with my other guitars...so I ebayed the Machine.

Definately a cool pedal..BUT..preferably try before you buy. It ain't for everyone. And it definately doesn't go well with all rigs.

Archived